back to article Google beds Microsoft for mobile sync service

Microsoft has - once again - leveraged its muscle in collaboration and email for mobile services to bring one of its biggest rivals to heel. Online-ads and search powerhouse Google has licensed Microsoft’s Exchange ActiveSync so users running Microsoft Outlook email, calendar, and contacts can work with its Google Sync service …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Nice

In terms of large evil companies, I like Microsoft more than Google. Its nice to see Ballmer beat Brin with something other than a chair.

2. Paul M.
    Dead Vulture

Phil D. Space. Is there a Phil D.Space in here?

"Interestingly, Microsoft’s pivotal role in Google’s planned service emerged as plans for Microsoft’s own online calendar and contacts service for mobile took another step forward."

The "interestingly" is sarcastic?

3. Dan
    Thumb Down

Eh?

I've not used a recent version admittedly, but Activesync always seemed pretty sh*t to me...

4. jake Silver badge

So, basically ...

... now both Microsoft AND Google have access to your company data?

Oh, yeah. THAT's something I'm going to be recommending to my clients.

Not.

5. Robert Grant

Goosync FTW

Been keeping my Google Calendar and my Diamond in sync for 6 months now, works a treat.

6. Dave Morfee
    Paris Hilton

cool...

So does this mean I can use activesync to go get me gmail?

7. Tom Peach

@ jake

No it means that Google have licensed the Exchange ActiveSync protocol. From TFA "ActiveSync will run on servers for Google Sync". So Microsoft will not have access to any additional info and your "clients" can rest easy.

Shame there is no decent (native) push email solution with Google Apps yet.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Android?

Whoops, there goes my main incentive to get an Android phone...

Eventually I suspect you'll be able to get Gmail (or Apps mail) through ActiveSync, but until then, I can still use IMAP, so not a huge problem...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Why sync?

Why sync when you can do it live? Our company uses OpenHand (www.openhand-mobile.com) and we have total access to ALL our mails, not the last 100 (including all our contacts, calendars, etc.). It strikes me as strange when people even pay for a service that only gives limited access to emails like this. Then, I'd rather use google's webmail solution.

10. jake Silver badge

@Tom Peach

"No it means that Google have licensed the Exchange ActiveSync protocol. From TFA "ActiveSync will run on servers for Google Sync". So Microsoft will not have access to any additional info"

If you trust big business to do what you can easily do for yourself when it comes to your own private data, all I can say is "whatever" ... Follow your bliss, but don't expect me to tag along.

"and your "clients" can rest easy."

Actually, my clients rest easy because they control all their own data. Funny how that works.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like