back to article Flybe clips IT department's wings

Exeter-based sky bus operator Flybe is sacking a significant proportion of its IT department, according to an insider. Our source revealed that ten jobs are to go, with a further 20 under threat. The total department headcount is about 60. A consultation period closes in the next two weeks and the victims of the airline's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not a great surprise

From what I heard from a recent escapee from Flybe, some of the management have serious problems in the "having the first clue" department...

The irony is that you can almost guarantee they will be the only ones left standing when the scythe has passed through...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Of course it's nothing to do with the downturn...

...they're quite capable of creating their own problems. In fact I gave up a contract rather than have to continue using them.

And their PR department isn't any better either - as you've found out they just answer the questions they want to be asked and it's no good pressing them on anything, they'll just keep mouthing nonsense until they ban you from ever contacting them again.

There! I feel better now.

</RANT>

Their flight crews are generally OK, though.

3. Pierre
    Coat

So, that's what IT stand for!

"Perhaps it should look into investing in information technology... "

So, IT actually stands for "information technology" it would seem. Good to know, this whole "what *doesn't* it stand for?" thing was getting old.

Mine is the one with the official "Reynholm Industries" corporate logo on the back

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

lack of clues

Hardly surprising. Flybe used to charge more for tax+charges than Easyjet charged for the whole flight+tax+charges on a near-identical route. When I queried it I got a waffly answer which amounted to "that's the price, take it or leave it". You can guess which option I took. Looks like their IT department have effectively outsourced themselves for incompetence.

5. kain preacher

IT

Bah who needs IT every ones knows they are over priced and not needed. The average user can fix their own computer .. If they are to stupid to fix a windows machine give them Linux . If they cant fix Linux then give them a C64.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or alternatively...

As an ex-Flybe contractor I think it's only fair to float the theory that they might be cutting back the IT department because work neededon the Flybe website (which accounts for most of the department's activity) might be reaching completion. Perhaps it has nothing to do with either of the reasons the author suggests.

Although I can't deny their flights are a bit pricey and their management style is a little... outmoded.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like