back to article MySQL daddy 'Monty' quits Sun

MySQL creator Michael “Monty” Widenius has finally left Sun Microsystems following a long-drawn-out disagreement over what he saw as the firm’s “premature” release of MySQL 5.1. As we reported in September, the MySQL daddy was understood to have quit the company, less than seven months after Sun paid $1bn for the free database …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anon

Wrong query results

No wonder it's not ready for release: it's confused a bitter apple with a bitter pill. Or are the prospects Grimm?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well the Sun is not cool

who knew :) They do make good hardware though, shame about the software, oh there is ZFS and zones, hand me a popper and a sparkler.

Corporates sap the life out of everything, repeat after me, only work for a corporate when they are willing to pay a huge amount of money for your time, it is only then that you can really enjoy working with a corporate. At all other times they are to be avoided like the proverbial plague.

3. Colin Dean

History always repeats itself

The history of the IT industry is littered with cases of successful small European companies who sold out to large American ones, and then many of the best people left. If you'd held a senior position (managerial or technical) in a business you'd helped to grow from almost nothing, would you want to become a small fish in a very big pond?

Maybe there should be better ways to reward people like this, without them having to sell their shareholding to anybody they can find with a large enough wallet, and walk away from what they've achieved.

4. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

RE: Well the Sun is not cool

"....only work for a corporate when they are willing to pay a huge amount of money for your time...." Well, I bet David Axmark and Monty will be grumbling all the way to the bank and on to an offshore tax haven. Whilst it may not be good to be employed by a corp, being bought out by a corp at a rediculous price seems to be quite a happy way to go!

5. Ritesh Tendulkar
    Joke

Superman

He _swallowed_ the bitter apple?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

I hope...

...Sun don't screw up VirtualBox as well....

7. John Sanders
    Linux

Virtualbox

So far it is doing ok on VirtualBox, latest release is great including OpenGL accelerated video, and I read somewhere that it is getting DirectX accelerated video via Wine's DirectX libs.

8. Jasmine Strong
    Stop

Incorrect article title

"Auf Wiedersehen Monty" or "Monty On The Run" would have been better.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like