back to article Police pursue crime suspect by Wii avatar

Look closely at the picture below. Have you seen this man Mii before? Because Japanese police suspect its owner was involved in a recent hit and run incident. Wii_Mii_police_hunt This Mii could have been in a hit and run incident Cops in the Kanagawa area of Japan have begun sticking up pictures of the Nintendo Mii in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Moep

I saw that Mii...

But i forgot where, could have been online. Now wheres my Money for that Info?

2. Jamie
    Linux

Pictures

Com'on Reg you are making a fortune with all the advertising so you should be able to get a reporter to the far off distant land of the Rising Sun and have some pictures to go with this article.

3. Bruce Green
    Coat

if it's not a Photofit ...

would that make it a Wii-Fit?

Mines the one with no identifying features.

4. Doug Southworth
    Black Helicopters

Neato

I'm sure that this guy, upon seeing his Mii mug posted all over town, won't go home and change it. This seems totally foolproof.

Maybe this isn't a Mii, and the police in the area just have a really bad sketch artist...

5. this

Culture

Our culture?

6. Kevin
    Coat

Behold

The Wii Foto-Fit!

7. Ash
    Thumb Down

Sure i've seen it!

I have one exactly the same. Where was I at the time in question, I hear you ask?

England.

8. Joe K

Credit crunch

Obvious the japanese are feeling the pinch, and no longer want to shell out on sketch artists.

9. Luis Ogando
    Coat

Easy To Spot

Surely the perp would be easy to spot; they'd be driving a go-kart with a white steering wheel about the size of a saucer, with no steering column, being chased by an ape, a mutant tortoise, a mushroom and a bizarre (and, let's face it, slightly hot) princess in a peach dress!

Mines the one with the fishing rod cloud on the back..

10. JP Sistenich
    Coat

Thank you for your help, Moep...

Your 100 Nintendo Stars will be credited to your account shortly.

Virtual compensation for virtual information.

The one with the Wii-mote in the pocket please.

11. Andy Barber
    Coat

Meme

How could El Reg get caught out by such an obvious meme?

Mines the one with a newly printed dictionary in the pocket.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wasn't mii!

that is all

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mugsy

A friend of Mugsy?.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntodcgdaVHQ

14. Anonymously Deflowered
    Joke

And the passenger in the car

was a gorilla who was seen throwing banana skins out of the window.

15. James Sherwood
    Joke

@ Anonymously Deflowered

Perhaps that's what caused the accident?

16. J
    Alien

"how heavily the Wii has infiltrated our culture"

Anata wa Nihonjin des ka?

17. Mike Moyle
    Coat

WiIdenti-Kit...?

Psst.... Most, if not all, police departments stopped using actual sketch artists years ago, in favor of the standardized IdentiKit. Originally a set of clear acetate overlays with variously-shaped heads, eyes, noses, etc. (each with a code-number); a semi-reasonable composite could be created, and then the codes could be transmitted, allowing anyone with an Identi-Kit to create the composite, rather than faxing the drawing out shotgun-style. Nowadays, of course, it's all computerized.

http://www.identikit.net/lea_product.php

@ Andy Barber:

"How could El Reg get caught out by such an obvious Mii-m?"

I fixed that for you. <gr>

18. Neoc
    Happy

Re: "how heavily the Wii has infiltrated our culture"

@J: "Anata wa Nihonjin des ka?"

ie, boku wa gaijin desu. Gomen. Watashi Nihongo wakarimasen.

(yes, all of my Nihongo was picked up from watching too much anime. It shows.)

19. Neoc
    Coat

And while I'm at it...

Why do I have the song "Mii and my shadow" going through my mind?

20. This post has been deleted by its author

21. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Japanese police cutting costs?

Well, Miis can get pretty realistic. My Mii avatar actually looks a lot like myself, almost a mirror image if I must say so. Yes, I actually looked at spent two hours crafting the Mii while regularly looking myself in the mirror.

I guess they must be throwing out those 4 million+ yen dedicated photofitting software in favor of Wiis, since it could pretty much do the same thing at a fraction of the cost. Plus, it has the potential to occupy the officers on slow days.

Much better than sitting around a table eating bagels and drinking coffee IMO.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like