back to article Ask.com preps Google-like* malware warnings

Ask.com is prepping Google-like malware warnings - though it hopes to leave out the bit where the Oompa Loompa accidentally blocks access to the entire internet. Early Saturday morning Pacific time, someone inside the Mountain View Chocolate Factory accidentally added a wildcard to the search engine's master list of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TeMerc

Norton Suckered

I don't see any advantage for Norton doing this what so ever. So they already have actual products that do someting, anti this, anti-that, to what end does partnering with Ask, notorious toolbat bundler extraordianire do for them?

Norton blew it with their Safe Web ratings forcing people to buy software instead of offering it for free like SiteAadvisor, Trusthound and many others. No one needs to pay for that service. I guess maybe they think the 4% that Ask has in the search market will do something for them?

They should have had an free version and Pro. This would have increased their reviewer database enourmously. Then they wouldn't have needed to get into bed with Ask.

2. Franklin

*blink*

"We saw what happened over the weekend," he says, "and we're confident [Symantec] will get things right every time, all the time."

Is it April 1st already? My, how time flies.

3. Christoph
    Stop

Nothing can possibly go wrong

"and we're confident [Symantec] will get things right every time, all the time."

Warn all you friends to stay clear of Ask.com - they are dangerously incompetent if they can believe that. Nobody can be certain to "get things right every time, all the time."

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

...partnering with Symantec</article>

I thought this was going to be an interesting article, until I saw who Ask were partnering with.

Does this mean that Ask will be slower, full of bloat, and have lots of buttons on it saying "FIX NOW" on it?

5. Edward Miles
    Happy

LOL!

"we're confident [Symantec] will get things right every time, all the time."

a hahahahahahahah wuuuuhahahahahahahah. Lol lmao rofl and all the other trendy acronyms to represent humour!

6. Daniel Free

Warning this site bundles ask.com malware

should i start expecting this warning on a few of the "freeware" sites if i ever search through ask ?

i installed a tiny app the other day for managing permisions and it bundled the ask.com malware with no warnings, its the 1st time i have had something like that sneak past me in about 5 years (i dont run protective software) so i was pretty pissed off.

moderately easy to remove and i actualy learnt more about what i can alter with regards to firefox's URL bar via about config. now i can load tinyurl's much faster by just typing them there :)

7. DutchOven
    Happy

"Oopma Loopma"

I think an Oompa Loompa forgot to check your spelling...

8. TeMerc

Talk about naieve...

And how dumb is it for anyone to actually say out loud that some company would never make a mistake?

Of course Norton already made the first blunder partnering with ASK, what would prevent them from doing another one?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like