back to article Sun angles cloud-on-credit-card play

Cloud computing is the new open-source for Sun Microsystems, which has promised to reveal more next month about a cloud platform it's building. Sun's chief executive Jonathan Schwartz and cloud computing chief technology officer Lew Tucker Tuesday painted a vision of the future, where developers in big companies purchase cloud …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Sorry

"If you want an idea of what a really successful open-source project looks like, look at Firefox 3. That earned a Guinness World Record on a single day last June with when it hit more than eight million downloads. Outside of that, downloads have been consistently high to take market share from Microsoft's Internet Explorer. ®"

One is an application server, the other a consumer web browser. You're making a completely ridiculous comparison.

2. EdwardP
    Flame

So this does...

...exactly what Amazon's EC2 service does then yes?

So I imagine the prices will be considerably cheaper...

3. Mo

This is new?

I run applications on a cloud computing platform running OpenSolaris. My apps live in zones. Storage is a combination of ZFS, and ZFS-via-NFS to a Thumper. I pay for it monthly by credit card. Just to complete the circle, I do, from time to time, run MySQL on those servers (though the only bit of Java is a JavaScript minifier). The cloud provider I use isn't exactly a nobody, either.

So, er, what's so newsworthy?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

more blue sky future thinking???

Is this really what Sun needs right now? How about concentrating on actually executing on some of their existing plays before chasing rainbows?

Oh sorry yes, executing on your plans is dull and boring in the tech sector isn't it? Poor old HP & IBM, with all those dull and boring consistent profits...

5. Kanhef
    Dead Vulture

Units?

"GlassFish middleware gets between 20,000 and 30,000 each day."

What's this measuring? Sales? Google searches? Hacking attempts by lemurs on LSD?

I first read the title as 'credit-card-on-cloud', which would get an award for most-doomed-to-disaster business idea ever.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like