back to article HP gives SMBs zero per cent financing

Server, PC and ink maker Hewlett-Packard gets a lot of business from small and medium businesses, and these companies are struggling a bit in the Western economies right now. So HP's Financial Services arm has rolled out a tried and true - but dangerously addictive - tactic to move gear: zero per cent financing. HP Financing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

SMBs?

"This deal is available only to corporations "

Hang on, the article starts off talking about "small to medium businesses" ... oh I forgot, in America they do everything bigger. Here in England we have countless tiny limited company startups - in the USA I guess they don't mess about with one-man legal entities and just start everything off as a corporation. Certainly gives a fledgling business an air of ambition I guess.

Mines the pin-striped one.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Polite applause

Nice one HP!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Sometime in the future?

But Daddy, what did you do during the Great Finance Sector Crunch?

4. CoonDoggy

corp != big

anyone in the US can start a corporation - an S-corp is still a corp. This just distinguishes between corp/educational/individual

5. Ian Michael Gumby
    Go

@CoonDoggy

Yes you are correct that you can do a start up just by filing for an S-Corp in Deleware online and then file with your local state.

The catch is that when HP does the 0% they usually run a D&B on your corp and then do a credit check with your corp's bank.

The 0% is an excellent way to attract businesses in to upgrading their technology. As a rule of thumb, you have to upgrade every 3 - 4 years or so, but companies have been stretching it out. With a 0% option, it will drive customers to continue on the 3 year cycle.

3 years because Moore's law works in the SMB's favor so that even if their server needs don't grow, they can afford to downsize, reducing the maintenance costs on their software licenses along with using less energy and have a quieter machine room. (If they have a machine room).

Its a smart thing to do.

Unfortunately the AC is right that 0% isn't for everyone. You still need to have excellent credit rating and show a consistent cash flow for several years.

6. Mike Tree
    Coat

@Michael Gumby

"You still need to have excellent credit rating and show a consistent cash flow for several years."

So once again cheap credit is being offered to those who least need it!

Mine's the one with a fiver in the pocket

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like