back to article Yahoo! lobs! Briefcase! into! rubbish! bin!

You might say that Google and Yahoo! are moving in completely different directions. As the world breathlessly awaits the arrival of Google's mystery GDrive, Yahoo! has quietly discontinued its ten-year-old YDrive due to extreme lack of interest. A visit to Yahoo!'s venerable online file storage service, Briefcase, reveals the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rabbits and hats

Let's see what Google can come up with to revive interest in this service. It'd have to be something decent, otherwise why bother?

2. Ian Rogers
    Paris Hilton

killing simpler than fixing

"users ... turned to offerings with much more storage and enhanced sharing capabilities..."

So Yahmanagement knew what they needed to do but decided to can the service rather than make it work right?

D'oh!

Paris 'cos they're having a lot of blonde moments at Yahoo.

3. david bates
    Thumb Down

Damn...

I liked briefcase - it was a good place to stash bits and bobs when I could'nt be bothered to use a pen drive. Hav'nt used it in a couple of year tho so I guess they hav a point...

4. calagan

Is Flickr next?

I can't sleep at night, worrying about my terabytes of photo disappearing into thin air.

PS: LOL @ "the Mountain View Chocolate Factory"

5. Mo

Might it be perhaps because…

…nobody had ever heard of it?

Seriously, it really hacks me off when companies do this: the only time you hear about a potentially good service is when they announce they've canned it through lack of interest, yet no attempt was made to market the service to anybody of any note.

6. Eugene Goodrich
    Paris Hilton

Fluffing the cloud?

"And of course, the Mountain View Chocolate Factory is secretly fluffing its GDrive cloud."

I suppose if I were a cloud-fluffer, I'd probably try to keep that a secret for as long as possible, too.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Dusting off some six year old zips

I just popped over to Briefcase and was suprised I have a long forgotten account there:

"Storage Notice! Using 28.79 of 30 MB (95%) of your Photos/Briefcase quota. You are running out of space."

I used it just once to transfer some zips from PC to PC, now some fun to take a peek through some photos and files from 28-Feb-2003!

(If only it would let me download them, that is...)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Not just Yahoo...

Lycos email is closing down after god know how many years....

http://mail.lycos.co.uk/

9. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

GDrive

Are they allowed to use that name? Wasn't it previously used by a slightly-dodgy-seeming bit of software that let you use your Gmail account as "storage"?

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. BristolBachelor Gold badge
    Stop

YBreifcase! leaked! like! a! civil! servants'!

I used to use Yahoo! Briefcase!. I found it very useful... up until the point that it lost everything.

If you ever manage to get through to Yahoo! Support!, the only answer they know is "tough! - that's! the! way! it! is!"

Let Yahoo R.I.P.

12. Philip

Buried alive

Yeah. Yahoo buried this service before they killed it. How could you find it. How do you use what you can't find. I was a user. It was convenient until they buried it that it.

13. John McNeally
    Gates Halo

250GB?!?

Cant find it either... Just 25Gb in my account...

14. William Towle

@Mo Re: "Might it be perhaps because…"

> …nobody had ever heard of it?

Wouldn't surprise me. I've had a Yahoo! Mail account for who knows how long and I didn't know.

// Wondering if that shouldn't be "Y!Drive". Or possibly "Y?Drive" now, eh ;)

15. Peter Clarke

Overtaken?

Breifcase was handy to use for large zips when HotMail etc had a cap on mailbox size. You could mail the link and password to the folder and let the recipient download at their leisure. Not used it for a while so I guess I'm one of the nails in the coffin, though I do remember it not being easy to find.

16. Bruno de Florence

History

When the online drive service initially appeared, it was primarily used for file sharing, of the illegal variety in most instances. Then Napster was invented. No contest reallly.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like