back to article Kaspersky Lab denies panic mongering

A mild warning from anti-virus labs Kaspersky has been inflated into a full-blown panic by the Australian press that is warning of an imminent meltdown once infection reaches Australian shores. The Couriermail even quotes a Kaspersky representative as stating that "it would only take one call to an Australian mobile from an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. raving angry loony

lies, more lies, and marketing.

Hmm. Being the cynical person that I am, I have to look at which scenario is more profitable to Kaspersky. Is it "mild warning" or is it "fear and panic"? So they couldn't do the fear and panic in their "official" warning system, but I wouldn't put it past a eager marketing exec (ie: lying, cheating, unethical scumbag) to try to generate as much "fear and panic" as possible.

2. EdwardP
    Flame

When you're an anti-virus firm...

...isn't scaremongering just good old-fashioned marketing?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What is a compete coincidence?

Python is not hard to get installed, there are wrappers so you can produce a python executable if you will, py2exe, shoddy work by the crackers there to rely on python being installed, or was it, perhaps it is a py2exe number.

4. Jedi Name Germinator

Would the press be liable?

If someone believed their story and lost revenue, man hours, turned off their phone etc...

5. william henderson

scaremongering

well, it sells "news" papers and government policies, so.....................

6. Swanny
    Coat

Aussie mainstream press are a bunch of tards

I saw the story and the Aussie mainstream press are a bunch of tards, just look at the constant stories that we need to do our national service by buying pallets of plastic dog s-hit made in china to keep the national economy afloat.

Maybe I'm crazy but no mention of buying locally produced goods to keep and create jobs, just spend spend SPEND!

I won't even mention the constant stories that now is the best time to slap all your $$$ into houses and shares written by people with a vested interest in these markets......ooops I think it just did

Mines the one with the shopping list of imported crap I don't need in the pocket

7. Chris Harden

Python?

You have to be smart enough to know what Python is and want to install it...and then dumb enough to click yes when it asks if you want to get shafted???

They didnt think this virus through methinks.

8. Jayse
    Paris Hilton

Advice?

".To be very clear: This infection can only happen if the user has already installed a Python interpreter (if you don't know what that is, then be assured that you haven't installed one)"

This is the sentence that should have been dubbed "bollocks" for sure. Theres plenty of M$ users out there who dont realise that an installer is installing another app that it requires, they aren't even reading anything other than the "next" button.

Paris, cos she always knows when a python is installed.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

KAV with Banking?

I have to say I really like this idea - it makes sense from the banks' view too that it is best to have users properly protected from online threats that could relate to their banking.

10. Moss Icely Spaceport
    Thumb Down

Traditional press are clueless about IT

As are all TV news networks.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

KAV

I got my current Kaspersky license from my bank. They do these promotions so often that I basically don't pay for AV software anymore. I already have 2 years worth of valid KAV keys from Barclays. Last year it was F-Secure, so its not crap stuff either.

12. Pascal Monett Silver badge

@Jayse

Not to be contradictory or anything, but I have the distinct feeling that it's a sight more difficult to get something installed on a phone than it is to get something installed on a PC.

PC's are just begging to have stuff installed, and there are still loopholes that canget stuff installed without even knowing it.

I don't see phones having the same issues - at least, no phone that doesn't have a Windows interface. If it's a Microsoft-driven phone, then sorry, but all bets are off.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like