back to article UK's top IT volunteers named

IT4Communities, which links charities with IT professionals who volunteer time and expertise to help organisations sort out technology projects, or start new projects, has released the shortlist for its 2008 awards. There are three finalists in four different categories: Best IT volunteer; the project which showed best impact …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OpenSource

Obviously this award ignores the thousands of people who write or contribute to open source software, for their own motives, to a large part doing it as voluntary work.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

UK Charity industry is a £19 billion industry

And it's biggest costs are wages.... but not yours.

3. Andrew Robinson
    Thumb Up

Thanks Reg

I'd never heard of IT4Communities before - now I'm signed up as a volunteer! Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

4. Bruno Girin
    Thumb Up

Thanks Reg!

I've been working on an IT4Communities project for some time and it's been very interesting and rewarding. It's nice to see El Reg being involved.

@AC 09:08: it4c is all about helping charities so the awards are for projects they have been involved with and don't necessarilly have anything to do with open source. On the other hand, charities are very open to the concept. When starting on the project I currently work on, I asked the charity if they would agree to me releasing anything I do for them as open source and they were very receptive to the idea. So when I think it can be useful to others, I will release it under an open source license. Conversely, for obvious cost reasons, a lot of charity projects are done using open source software which in turn is a good way to find bugs and report them to the project.

5. Ian Ferguson
    Linux

Re: OpenSource

Maybe, but that's missing the point a bit - open source =/= charity.

Admittedly charities could use open source software, but they'll still need the expertise to install and maintain it.

Oh and in my experience charities are less keen on open source than commercial businesses - because they can get the paid-for equivalent at massive discounts, sometimes free. (Microsoft, Adobe, Apple, etc).

6. Colin Wilson
    Thumb Up

Another unsung hero

There's a bloke on a local freecycle group to me who has fixed / built, and given away over 144 recycled PCs...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Super web designers, to the rescue.

Wow, there be some real web design talent over thar.

This topic is closed for new posts.