back to article Techies blast big media over copyright warnings

A trade group that includes Google, Microsoft, Yahoo! and other big names in tech is asking federal regulators to clean up allegedly misleading language in copyright warnings. The Computer & Communications Industry Association announced today it has filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission on behalf of consumers. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Eddleman

The warnings are no joke!

Seriously, in some circumstances, breaches of copyright law result in harsher penalties than voluntary manslaughter or murder 1.

2. Sampler

They should just bin the warnings on DVD's

Forced to watch some cheap crappy "ad" to "just say no" and how we're paying for terrorism/drugs/people trafficking/insert paranoia of the month here before a film loads EVERYTIME is annoying as hell - something my pirate DVD's don't do - I can just sit down and enjoy the film.

They should stop seeing piracy as a threat and more of a competition - if the competition are offering a better product than you should look at your own camp as to why.

3. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: The warnings are no joke!

It's not a balance that I'd like to apply with a sweeping judgement...

Obviously, copying tens of thousands of a certain product will seriously dent a company's earnings and therefore the staff that work at it. Do this enough so that the staff have to be let go and it'll affect them and their families (and, to a far lesser extent, those that rely on them for business.

However you'd have to go some to do this amount of damage to an indivual, especially compared to running them over on your car, shooting them or some other way of maiming / killing them.

It's a travesty that a life can be worth so little compared to the needs of a corporate entity with expensive lawyers.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just rip the main movie

I rent from LoveFilm. Copy the disc when it arrives, keeping just the main film.

That way, I can watch the film when I want without all the warnings.

Legally, it's marginal, but I only watch the film once, then erase the disc.

Before that, my old DVD player was chipped so I could skip all the warnings.

No matter what 'they' dream up, there will always be a way round.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like