back to article UK donates Leo Sayer to Oz

The United Kingdom has raised no objection to the release of Leo Sayer from the bonds of British citizenship, and the crooner yesterday celebrated Australia Day by becoming a full-fat Aussie, the Beeb reports. Sayer, 60, is best known for 1977 UK chart-topper When I Need You. His other career highlight came when he walked out …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Payback time

That'll teach ya to send us Rolf Harris!

2. TeeCee Gold badge
    Joke

Careful what you say.

"I'm 60 and I feel like a 20-year-old at the moment...."

Presumably all the young Sheilas have gone into hiding on hearing that.

3. Tim
    IT Angle

Cockney Rhyming Slang.....

Does this mean we will need to adopt a more UK-Centric way of referring to an all day drinking bender?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

How is this our problem?

So because we don't want to listen to diabolical 'music' any more this a problem with us and not him. I'm sure he will fit in marvellously in Australia. The whole country is full of whiners.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I thought he was rather better known

for his truly astonishing afro

6. Andy Barber
    Thumb Down

Citizanship?

"Sayer swore his citizenship oath..."

Eh, am I missing something here. Surely his is still a subject, as the UK Queen is still the Queen of Australia. Also he will have duel nationalities, like my brother.

7. shay mclachlan

ok....

Leo Sayer on the other side of the planet? There is a God after all.

8. Mike Stringer

Wrong

"The United Kingdom has raised no objection to the release of Leo Sayer from the bonds of British citizenship.."

UK Law:

"You will not normally lose your British nationality if you become a citizen or national of another country. If you are a British subject otherwise than by connection with the Republic of Ireland you will lose that status on acquiring any other nationality or citizenship. If you are a British protected person you will lose that status on acquiring any other nationality or citizenship."

Australian Law:

"Under present legislation the United Kingdom recognises dual nationality, and, if you acquire Australian citizenship, this does not affect your right to hold a British passport and live in the United Kingdom."

9. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Sayer returned to the Lucky Country...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_Country

"Australia is a lucky country, run by second-rate people who share its luck."

And, it seems, being entertained by them too.

Mine's the stupid clown outfit.

10. Flugal
    Happy

What a shame

Australia's loss is Britain's gain. (Yes, that way around)

11. adnim

Are we sure...

that he isn't just moonlighting?

12. Saul
    Paris Hilton

It's over...

Leo doesn't need you any more.

Paris - Because she looks good down under. Probably.

13. r
    Thumb Down

I met 'im once at a Grand Prix

and found he was a thoroughly obnoxious git.

Good riddance.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

He's made me feel like dancing

At the thought of him emigrating.

15. Martin
    Happy

Actually.....

...I saw him in concert a couple of times in the mid-seventies, and he actually put on a helluva good show! But once he released "When I need you" he started going 'orribly MOR...

So good luck to you, Oz. You can keep him.

16. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

In case you need an IT angle...

If my research is correct, Sayer was born on June 21st 1948, the same day the Manchester "Baby" computer successfully ran the world's first electronically stored computer program...

17. Kevin

13000 in Canberra?

13,000 is the total number of people who got citizenship on Monday. Not all of them were in Canberra. That would be cruel. That kind of treatment might have been how this country started but we've improved a bit since then. You're actually allowed to get citizenship everywhere.

And he isn't giving up anything. As pointed out above, you can have dual citizenship. I hold both an Australian & British passport - and I've never set foot in Britain!

18. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Transportation ended in the 1860's

Will you Pommies STOP sending us your wastrels, castoffs and strays?

We have enough.

Thank you.

[Happily goes back to packing the esky for another hot day at the beach]

19. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@AC

"Will you Pommies STOP sending us your wastrels, castoffs and strays?"

You started it. Barry Humphries, Rolf Harris, Jason Donovan and the frikkin' Minogue sisters.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@@AC

OK, so stop encouraging them!

If you leave them alone they will go away.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like