back to article Open source anti-Semitic as well as communist shock

We've long known that "open source" is a just a mechanism for espousing communist philosophy, but for the anti-Semitic angle we're grateful to yesterday's mailing from the Openmoko project, which explained that President Obama is simply a shill for a Zionist comspiracy. Openmoko is a open-source phone handset - both the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

There is no effective defence against spoofing email addresses.

There I have said it and yes I am aware of the Sender Policy Framework, it is not effective.

2. Daniel

How do you propose this will be done?

Do you know something about email that the rest of us don't? Or is it that you DON'T know something about email spoofing that the rest of us DO? Maybe you imagine that you actually sent those emails that get bounce-replies coming into your own inbox?

3. Joe

But!

Are the secret Zionist overlords afraid of Bill Ray?

4. Jonathan McKeown

To be fair....

I also saw similar messages on freebsd-questions and rt-users today - and it is, as one victim pointed out, laughably easy (by design of SMTP) to change your From: header. There are even legitimate reasons for doing so.

5. Pete Silver badge

The Arabs are semites, too

The term is a geographical/racial one - not a religious description. If the story is really about someone / something being anti-Jewish, that's completely different.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hey

There's a lot of truth in what is said about Barack Hussein Obama, but don't call zionists Jews, it's an insult to genuine Jews and simply give the serpents more water within which to swim.

Revelation 2:9

I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.

Revelation 3:9

Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hacked?

"Still, it is embarrassing to have one's mailing list hacked with a forged email."

Spoofing the sender isn't really hacking, though, is it? All the OpenMoko admins need to do is to publish SPF records and do some sender verification when receiving mails for the list - the former being less than ten minutes' work, the latter probably being an option in whatever mail transport agent they're using (if it isn't already enabled).

8. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Supremacism?

That's a dead giveaway. Goerge W Bush must have hackified it.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Surely you must have noticed...

...the huge surge in email spam containing various anti-Obama rhetoric since the inauguration last week?

I've seen at least one of these on well over a dozen mailing lists, most coming in over the last three days. SpamAssassin in busily being trained on each one as they arrive. Some are caught on other criteria already.

10. Cameron Colley

I don't understand?

I thought Obama was one of them-there Muslim terrorists -- after all his name sounds like "Iraq Osama" and he went to school in Dirka-Dirka-stan? Make your minds up people*, which is it to be?

*Well, if the kind of fucktard that makes this crap up qualifies as a person.

11. Martin Silver badge
    Coat

whose fault?

Do you mean their email address was spoofed - in which case it's nothing to do with them, I send all my email threats with bofh@register.co.uk as the return address

Or do you mean their email servers were sending the spam - in which case it isn't spoofing.

12. theotherone
    Thumb Down

funny

funny how you too equate anti-semitism with anti-zionism ....

Zionism is to Judaism what AlQaeda is to Islam .... but that's not what the media wants to tell you is it .......

13. RW
    Boffin

"Zionazis" and @ Pete

If you think this is remarkable, check out some of the discussion forums on Craigslist, where crazed right wingers are spouting insanities like a whale or the Old Faithful geyser.

"Politics USA" and "Politics World" are especially rich in this nonsense. You have to wonder if the crackpots are posting according to scripts written by the same people who script Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, and whats-his-face Hannity. If so, who's footing the bills?

The phrase "permanent Republican majority" will go down in history as one of the lamest political slogans ever devised. Sadly, some people just don't see the humor in Obama's election as Republican dreams of dominance are revealed to be the delusional fantasies they were.

@ Pete re "anti-semitism". What you say is true about Arabs being Semites, but the phrase "anti-semite" means "anti-Jew". Don't try to apply strict logic to the meanings of idioms, in English or any other language.

14. E

It's a plan!

"..to the ... bloody altar of Jewish Supremacism [sic]"

Well, we *do* have to get the global population under control.

15. greenmantle
    Stop

Wait up...

the problem isn't really email spoofing, as previously stated it's not a hard thing to do and doesn't even involve the systems/whatever of the legit owner.

What's more surprising to me is that the addresses on the mailing list got into the hands of some nitwit...

OpenMoko shouldn't be preventing their email address from being used, but preventing their mailing list being divulged to nut+dog shouldn't they?

16. Inachu
    IT Angle

Self hate is really really bad.

Recent news that Richard Pearle supports The historical USA genocide of American indians is an excuse to which to kill Palestinians but then this also makes it ok and frees Hitler from hell as its been deemed ok by neocons for Hitler to kill jews as neocons do not mind ethnic cleansing when it benefits them.

17. Turbojerry

Semitic is a Language Group, Not a Race or Ethnic Group

Please get your terms correct-

http://www.counterpunch.org/hamod07122003.html

The correct term for the spoofed email would be anti-Zionist not anti-Semitic, sadly the likes of Bernie Madoff do lend credence to those who view all Jews as dishonest crooks, though the Madoffs of the world are nearly all rabid Zionists as the idea of being a Master Race chosen by God and endowed by him with the Chosen Land means they view all non-Jews as subhuman, a psychopathic belief system no different than any other tyranny of one group over another.

18. Matthew
    Linux

Seen these everywhere lately

Yep i have seen heaps of mail spam on the free software mailing lists like Obama -- The Judas Goat or Wake Up World! Meet the New Boss, Same as the Old Boss...

19. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Hmmm

It must be hurting someone but whom?

20. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

fed up

I think that Israel will never reach peache with its reality, becouse, deep down, peace, would mean the acceptance of borders. And deep down, as matter that cannot be admitted, nor disscussed is this "hidden" quest for more property.

(Ein Folk, Ein Reich, Ein Furher).

So, folks, with your intelligence, Please, bye a mirror, and have a hard look at yourselves.

Shame on you..

And Please, I know about those farsts of destruction aimed at you. Farts in a game, totally run bye you.

The Holocaust does not give you any rights to repeat it.

l

21. J
    Black Helicopters

Trillions

Trillions, that's not far fetched at all -- although of course the whole rant is stupid anyway.

The income tax in the US (which is said to be unconstitutional when applied to regular people making only salaries) is about 1 trillion dollars a year. Apparently, it is all used to pay interest to banks and nothing else. At least that's what I've heard, but I haven't researched any further because I don't really care that much (we iz all doomd, I tells ya). So some crazy people got this info and stretched to a full "the Jews are gonna get us" craze. Nothing new.

22. Russelld
    Alert

@Turbojerry

Hmm.... Suddenly you are not just an expert on the definition of terms (whilst ignoring their common usage and the intention behind them), but can understand (sympathise?) with all those ill-informed enough to single out one crook (who happens to be Jewish) as being representative of all Jews.

And to top it off, you are informed enough to know that all those dishonest crooked Jews are all rabid Zionists, who believe in the idea of being a Master race.

How about *you* get your terms right:

Zionism refers to the belief that Jews should have their own homeland in the land of Israel. Zionism is not an expansionist concept about taking other lands, only of retaining the one tiny part of the world that has always been a homeland.

There is no concept of "Chosen People", rather "People who chose to observe the commandments".

Judaism does not view non-Jews as sub-human and it does not involve taking over the Infidels of the world, unlike some other well known beliefs...

I think that you are getting your facts crossed - but why let a little thing like ignorance and unfounded hatred get in the way of spreading some misinformation on the web, eh?

23. Seth
    IT Angle

Appalling

It would be interesting to know why a tech site is airing accusation of anti-Semitism in the first place, especially when it is simultaneously admitting that the company it is accusing didn't really commit this heinous thought crime.

This recalls the Ron Paul smear champaign, in which the press, including the technical press, did precisely the same thing. They admitted that the offending e-mail wasn't issued by the Ron Paul campaign, but continued to report on the spam as though it was, thereby smearing Ron Paul by association -- just as this article smears OpenMoko by association.

I believe this is called an ad hominem presentation and I suspect that every first year journalism student is taught how to avoid doing it. It was absolutely inappropriate for The Register to have printed this article. This is as unprofessional an example of journalism as I can think of.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Anti-Semantic

They aren't sure what it means but they mean but they don't like Norton AV....

25. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Come on Reg!

I expect better from you.

Anti-Zionist != Antisemitic

26. Sean Moss-Pultz

Obviously this was Spam

Dear Bill

Openmoko is a business as well as a project so I take comments this like extremely seriously. For the record, our response is here:

http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/announce/2009-January/000032.html

I hope you will correct the factual information of your article.

Sean Moss-Pultz

Openmoko

27. Steen Hive
    Coat

@RW

"Don't try to apply strict logic to the meanings of idioms, in English or any other language."

Well I bloody well will! Especially when people use gibberish like "anti-semitism" (simply hijacked), or even worse - "anti-American" (plain nonsense).

@theotherone

"Zionism is to Judaism what AlQaeda is to Islam .... but that's not what the media wants to tell you is it"

Dead right, but these days even admitting to knowing the true nature of Irgun, Lehi or the Stern Gang will get you grouped in with the loopers & "Holocaust deniers". Of course the Seppos are warm to that Zionist groove-thang because it's just nation building by "The Good Guys" (tm) to them .

/mines not a coat, it's a smallpox-infected blanket.

28. amanfromMars Silver badge

The Fagin Twist ..... Pan American Edition.

"Obama "completely supports the theft of trillions of American taxpayer dollars to the Zionist international bankers" "

Well, he certainly has done nothing to stop the Sting/Heist, which must make it very difficult for Crooked International Bankers to do Business ..... which would be perfectly understandable because who would want a close working relationship with Uncommon Thieves and Freying Partnerships, other than other Nest of Thieves/Grasping ASPs. ...... is also another way of Interpreting the Global Situation/Great Game.

A new President with Real Change on his Mind, ideally/really necessarily also needs a Neureal SurReal Innovative Advice Team, Fully Divorced from the Old Crowd, otherwise it's rearranging chairs on the Titanic Time to the tune of Meet the New Boss, Same as the Old Boss... We got fooled again.

IT is certainly what the Administration and the System will always be fighting against and losing Badly, Gladly ........ although the older Gladio types might think that they are going to Win Big rather than Witness and be Responsible for their Losing Everything, because they lost the Evil Plot and Live Purpose of the Great Game.

Obama cannot Afford 42 Fail making Wholesale Changes and a Completely New Socio-Capitalist System with Virtual Bank Tellers......... High Spending Providers of Currency for Power Flows ........ which in the earlier/present failed system would have been Crazy Smart Entrepreneurs with Unlimited Venture Capital Backing ....... which is what the Bankers are really supposed to be doing, but don't, because they are busy Feathering their Nests/Transferring Dodgy Credits SWIFTly ....... for Failure will Destroy their Dream Economy Model and Transfer IT Eastward, Lock Stock and Barrel.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Email thru a hole in a sheet

Is it true that orthodox Jews only ever send messages via a hole cut in a bedsheet?

30. Cthonus
    Flame

Mass ignorance

@RW

"@ Pete re "anti-semitism". What you say is true about Arabs being Semites, but the phrase "anti-semite" means "anti-Jew". Don't try to apply strict logic to the meanings of idioms, in English or any other language."

Don't confuse the ignorance of the masses with genuine knowledge. Just because a mistake is oft-repeated doesn't make it true.

31. Charles Palmer
    Stop

anti-Zionism or anti-Semitism?

Anti-Semitism is specifically racism directed at Jews. The wikipedia article on the subject gives several references in support of that fact.

Just because someone uses the term Zionist doesn't necessarily mean they aren't being anti-Semitic. It also doesn't mean they are being anti-Semitic. Further reading into what they are actually saying is required.

'Jews controlling international banking' is a famous anti-Semitic trope and merely changing Jew for Zionist isn't a very clever ploy to disguise it. The fake mail also thens goes on to talk about 'Jewish Supremacy' which plays directly into the well known Jews trying to control the world conspiracy theory which is famous through history as an example of anti-Semitism.

So for those responding with a knee-jerk crowing that, "anti-Zionism isn't anti-Semitism," do a little more thinking about the statements you are defending. If you really think Obama is stealing trillions of dollars for 'Zionist international bankers' and that there is a conspiracy of 'Jewish Supremacy' then you might just be an anti-Semite yourself.

32. Charles Palmer

Cthonus

I'm afraid you'd have to go back to the 19th Century to correct the usage of the term anti-Semite. It's been used specifically by people talking about racism towards Jews since then.

For some dictionary definitions of the term:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/antisemitism

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/antisemitism

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=3203&dict=CALD

33. Cthonus
    Happy

19thC

@Charles Palmer.

I *always* go back to the 19th C or earlier for word derivations. It's so much more fun.

Now, anyone fancy a ride on my thelul or a play with my vuz peg?

34. BioTube
    Coat

Antisemitism

IIRC, that term was coined with the meaning of "anti-Jew"(further stretching my unreliable memory, I believe the tome that first used it was "Anti-Semitisch"). Anybody who uses the term as "anti-any-semite" is abusing it.

Mine's the one with Merriam-Webster's Third New Racist Edition in the pocket.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like