back to article Obama eyes net neut man for FCC post

US President-elect Barack Obama will nominate his campaign's technology adviser, Julius Genachowski, to serve as the next head of the Federal Communications Commission. At least, that's the word from Democratic officials whispering in the ears of big-name news sources. According to The Wall Street Journal, Reuters, and others …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James Woods
    Flame

too little too late?

Please tell me how this fits in. Im all for net neutrality however those involved in the internet are not. Google wants special peering, comcast is peering privately with every datacenter in the country that will peer with it ( all the while placing bandwidth caps on it's users)

Companies like Google want to preach about net neutrality well, for everyone except them of course, what's this guy going to do under Obama, is he going to tell Comcast they can't act as an internet provider & a backbone at the same time? Is he going to tell google no you can't have peering with isps, if he would, more power to him.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Full and Free Exchange of Information through an Open Internet

Well its a nice idea but I'll be suprised if he gets very far against all the vested interests. You can bet the religious nuts will want to stop any idea of neutrality.

Control is much easier if you've only got to pressure a few major players.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

vested interests

surely the vested interests want the appearance of net neutrality?

4. Disco-Legend-Zeke
    Paris Hilton

everybody is SUPPOSED to peer with everybody.

That was the original idea of the Internet. But the carriers made barriers.

Now if we can just get them to cancel 800 MHz auction and give those channels back to the citizens.

If the big content (movie) owners ever embrace encrypted bit torrent, the content will already exist inside the ISP network no backbone bandwidth is required beyond the first few downloads. The customer will only need to visit the website to purchase a digital ticket to watch it.

paris cause she thinks im cute

5. Michael Moore

It has been done

Net neutrality sounds to me like Cardwell's Railway Act, 1854 that stopped the self-destructive competition between Railway Companies. The way it was done was brilliant, and all lawmakers should be familiar with it and its history. He was also a lawyer. I have just added it to the wiki report on Cardwell.

Cardwell was better known for abolishing the purchasing of commisions in the British Army, but this was just as important.

The background to Cardwell I found on google. The railways had completely ground to a halt with one company just shunting another company's wagons into sidings. Cardwell said that if one co had a complaint against another, they could take it to a Judge, and he had to issue a judgement within 24 hours. I read the Act, not very long, Manchester Central Library, I think.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like