back to article EU sees high speed networking in Photonics

An EU-funded research body has been demonstrating the potential of high-frequency wireless, including 10Gb/s connections that operate over a kilometre - and in the rain. The snappily-named "Integrated Photonic mm-Wave functions for Broadband Connectivity", or IPHOBAC, has been spending EU money developing components for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Cue....

Aaarghhh, no stop it. More electromagnetic radio wave thingys causing me to have hyper electro sensitivity (my lawyer thought that sounded good) and my head hurts, I can't see properly and it stops me from walking more than 5 feet. It also makes me fat and causes cancer.

Ban the wireless now before we are all disease riddled cancer victims by this invisible menace.

Won't somebody think of the children!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Oh Shit!!!

My Tin-Foil doesnt work anymore.....

anyone got a deep bunker/mine i can rent ?........

3. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Possibly a blended solution?

Could the technology form part of a blended solution with say, transceivers (is that the word?) feeding from/to cabled distribution?

4. Robert Ramsay
    Joke

Photonics?

are these like super high speed clacks towers then? Or does the user suddenly get bathed in a huge Close Encounters-like beam oscillating at 10 GHz?

5. Volker Hett
    Thumb Down

over 1000 meters?

ok, so in rural places where they don't put up some ADSL equipment every 5000 meters or so, they do put up a transmitter every 1000 meters?

No way!

6. F Seiler

bandwidth

I supsect the X Gbit/s are shared among all users of the device providing the uplink (as it is, iirc, for all wireless technologies). If so, having all users within 1km radius in a city sharing a few Gbit/s doesn't sound too high speed. Maybe i'm spoiled on my cable connection (no, it's not Gbit/s per user now, but at least it has the potential). For really rural regions i can see a use, but wireless as main internet connection in a city is a joke, no?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like