back to article Call centre manager in the frame over ID scam

An Indian call centre manager is under investigation over allegations he used the identities of Brits to run an insurance fraud scam. Edward Burn, 30, has reportedly confessed to using the details of 12 people to make fictitious insurance claims valued at £56,900 through insurance firm Aviva, whose brands include Norwich Union …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Kudos to El Reg

... for cleaning much of the Evening SubStandard's ugly little xenophobia out of the item.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aviva

Makes me think of a Vauxhall Viva.

I used to work for Norwich Union and I'm not surprised by this. Lack of risk assessment.

3. mc_nebula
    Joke

Edward?

Edward? Is that his real name?

4. Mr B

Lucky he was a smokey-dopey.

That would have been different he he'd thought of selling details rather than using them. Less gain but distributed fraudulent claim and lot less direct exposure.

Crime apprentice you shall delegate.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

So Little?

56K - only? It is difficult to believe that it was worth the scam? Either to stupid to work it properly, or more likely, the fraud goes further.

Mine is Paris because she would trust the former......

6. Alan

Policy holders' money never at risk?

**A spokeswoman for Aviva told the London Evening Standard that policyholders' money was never at risk from the scam**

What may happen, though, is they could lose no claims bonuses that are given on many policies due to a claim being registered on their accounts, and when someone puts in an insurance claim in the future, it could be refused because they have >apparently< claimed too many times recently. Also, their insurance premiums may suddenly increase by a much higher amount than the rate of inflation.

I think that means that at least some policyholders' money may well be at risk.

7. Neoc

Aviva = idiots?

"A spokeswoman for Aviva told the London Evening Standard that policyholders' money was never at risk from the scam."

No, just their good name and credit records. "I'm sorry sir, I can't sell you car insurance; you've been involved in three crashes this year already".

Morons.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Indian call center are so cheap

What's a little fraud?

9. Jonathan McColl
    Joke

Right name?

This identity theft thing is just like their TV adverts: would he have succeeded so well under his own name?

10. Moss Icely Spaceport
    Joke

Sir, we have been finding your elephant

We are afraid it has being in yet another accident!

11. TeeCee Gold badge
    Joke

Re: Aviva / A Viva

A sound name change then. Any Viva's still in use will, after all, be totally clapped out and on the verge of disintegrating*.

*Of course, there are those who say that they came out of the Vauxhall works like this anway.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like