back to article Logitech updates Harmony 1000 to 1100

Logitech has punted what it claims is the universal remote to end all universal remotes, and demo'd the product at CES this week. With the Harmony 1100 - sucessor to the currently available 1000 - in our hand, the first though that struck us was, "Hmmm... have Sonos' lawyers seen this?" Logitech Harmony 1100 Logitech's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still no bluetooth?

I have the Harmony 1000 and while its great, i thought with the next generation logitech would have added in blutooth support for equipment like the ps3? otherwise it doesnt seem to be much of an improvement over the feature set in the 1000

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Article seems a little terse

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 1000 does not have an RF ability. So whilst this may not have BT, it does have RF, which of course requires that you set it up right and use the infrared senders and RF receiver near the equipment you are controlling. Without this it would be "somewhat dependent on which direction you pointed it", since it qould still use just plain old infrared.

Also, what does the phrase "sticks and stalls" actually mean? Does it mean that the device did not immediately respond to a touch? Perhaps it was programmed with a certain delay, or that in order to accomplish something as "simple" as "watch tv" it had to switch on 3 or 4 separate boxes and set them to their proper modes. Hardly an very technical way of appraising a product.

I realise that many people might think this to be a consumer level product, but in reality it is a device for the more techno-savvy types and requires a fair bit of effort to setup properly with any sort of decent level of audio-visual and other device rigs (imo).

3. Alex
    Boffin

BT & RF

As I understand it, the RF functionality only works if you have the RF Extender unit installed in the "locked away" cabinet.. Without that, you can't use it.

As for BT: I very much doubt you will see a top end device include BT until more manufacturers move away from the crappy IR functionality. I wish more WOULD use BT, but they are still 'shaming' SCE for using it on the PS3 (or peeps that complain about the PS3 not having IR). If you need IR, then search for the IR4PS3. It's not too expensive (cheaper if you have the remote), and takes away the need to create a macro for shutting off and tunring on the PS3. There are alternatives, but I use the above with a Harmony, and it's great.

Regarding the review.. I'm guessing this was at a stand at CES? In which case, you may have had your hands on a test model with older firmware/hardware. Crap I know, but it is possible. Looking forward to the full review in a couple of weeks

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like