back to article Kirk's Khan nemesis beams up at 88

Ricardo Montalban, the actor who proved to be arguably the greatest nemesis of William Shatner's Captain - later Admiral - James T. Kirk, has died at the age of 88. Montalban passed away in Los Angeles, California on Wednesday, following a long, successful, and hard-working career in US film, on TV, and on the stage. The cause …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nate Amsden

KHAAAN!

http://www.khaaan.com/

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Hopefully his coffin

will be upholsetered in soft, Corinthian leather

3. James O'Brien

Hopefully the first

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!

/farewell

4. Timbo
    Thumb Up

"From hell's heart, I stab at thee....

....for hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee." Brilliantly delivered by Ricardo in ROK. Anybody that can have enough of a presence in a film to make me forget about the 'hamishness' of Shatner gets my respect.

Paris, because i'm sure she's spat a few times as well when she's been out of breath.

5. Rebecca Putman

According to the LA Times...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-me-montalban15-2009jan15,0,3732229.story

"Montalban died Wednesday morning at his Los Angeles home of complications related to old age, said his son-in-law, Gilbert Smith."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He contributed much to our culture, and will be missed.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

The Plane

The plane boss...the plane.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He was intelligent

but his behaviour indicated two dimensional thinking.

8. paul brain
    Dead Vulture

greatest movie of all time

Thanks Kaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

9. Smallbrainfield
    Unhappy

Farewell Senor Senior

You will be missed.

http://www.b3tards.com/u/899d78c16b9bb1676226/khaaan.jpg

10. Yorkshirepudding
    Unhappy

gutted

such a massive massive shame! one of the best villians ever so well played!

best parting speech of a villian even if it was ripped from moby dick as the enterprise is doing a runner he rants at the viewscreen

"for hates sake i spit my last breath at thee"

RIP Ricardo there is a massive leather armchair waiting for you beyond the great barrier

11. Hollerith

We will not see his like again

Not only a good actor sadly wasted because Hollywood isn't good at seeing leading men out of caucasian colourin, but well ripped, at least in the Star Trek: Wrath of Khan, which remains the best ST movie ever, despite the bagpipes send-off of our favorite Vulcan.

12. Eddie Edwards
    Unhappy

Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

Out of interest, what does the author consider the other one of the two best Star Trek movies?

13. al
    Stop

Geeks love(d) star trek, I get it.

But sadly.. this is not a technology news. By far.

Al WarMing.

14. Tom Austin
    Paris Hilton

The icons are all going...

Ricardo Montalban, RIP...

Patrick McGoohan, RIP...

When will this all end?

PH, as an icon that will, inevitably, go too...

15. Martin Milan

Best star trek film other than Wrath of Khan?

No contest - it has to be The Undiscovered Country...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Let's not forget one of Khan's immortal lines ...

"From Hell's heart, I stab at thee ..." - don't think I've ever seen a line delivered with such venom.

First Patrick McGoohan (was watching 'The Prisoner' last night, as it happened) and now Ricardo Montalban. I think I'm beginning to understand why Arthur Dent hated Thursdays so much.

Along with "Generations" and "Nemesis" (I know, I know), "Wrath of Khan" is the only Star Trek movie I watch on a regular basis - the Book Of The Film[tm] is very good as well.

17. Yorkshirepudding
    Unhappy

obligatory quote #2

He tasks me! he tasks me and i shall have him I'll chase him 'round the moons of Nivea, and 'round the Antares maelstrom, and 'round perdition's flames before I g ive him up

@ small brain field

i was going to mention his voicework for various animated shows too he did some great characters too

18. Stephen
    Unhappy

Another good actor passes on

In the original series Khan appeared as a one time villian, but the transformation onto the big screen by Ricardo was enough to produce one of the most memorable film villains ever seen.

One day a friend of mine who came around while I was midway though watching the film (he admits he doesn't typically like Star trek) he got drawn in after seeing the "ear scene" in Khan's bunker and watched it to the end after that.

He delivered lines so well, from the famous "Revenge is a dish best served cold" that has spread far beyond Trek circles, to his final "From Hells heart I stab at thee... for hates sake I spit my last breath at thee!" as he lies in a bloodied mess with the bomb ticking away.

Ricardo you shall be missed.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

They didn't "rip" the quote,

If you paid attention you would have realized it was Khan's favourite book.

You will be complaining about Shakespeare in "The Undiscovered Country" next.

Alien?? Natch!!

20. Yorkshirepudding
    Coat

@ Ian Emery

Ripped the quote was a strong word my humblest apologies i do of course know moby dick was his favourite book

star trek villians have a knack for great speeches

Christopher plummer ala undiscovered country

and even [gasp] yes malcom mcdowel in generations (they say time is the fire in which we burn)

21. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

. . . . 2nd best Star Trek

First contact is ovbiously the second favourite movie. No under lying save the whales brainwashing included, need i say more.

22. Law
    Alien

SPAAARRRRTTTTAAAAAAAAAARRRRR!!!

.... I'm looking forward to bad-guy speeches in upcoming movie...

PS - Khan is one of best ST villians.... awesome actor too

23. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

another sad day

For all of us. I keep meaning to get a DVD version of the Prisoner so I can re-watch all of it without interruption. RIP

24. Stevie

Bah

One of the best bits of movie dialogue ever.

Piratical Helmsman: "Captain! Our shields are dropping!"

Khan: "Raise them!"

Note that the twin curses of default password ingnoring (in this case on the strangely inconvenient Remote Shield Command feature of the USS Reliant) and Management Stating The Bleeding Obvious will still plague humanity in the distant future.

We can extrapolate these trends to predict that by the time the Enterprise undocks the entire wireless internet will be bot-riddled and useless for anything but buying love-phaser enhancement pilz, and also that a sarcastically delivered "Why didn't I think of that?" will be the first library phrase stored into the Universal Translator.

Bugger. I wonder who they'll tag to play Ricardo in the next "Star Trek Babies" movie?

25. ThinkingOutLoud
    Paris Hilton

Hasta luego, Ricardo.

Ricardo can boast about having fans across several generations past and yet to be born. Let his passing revive interest in all his work. Requiescat In Pace amigo.

Paris because even she must have watched him sometime - and I reckon that right up to his last breath, Ricardo would have pulled her...

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and was once voted...

the most beautiful man in the world.

I think it was a reader's poll in a popular US magazine in the 1970/80s (pre-Internet).

27. Daniel B.
    Coat

Khaaaaaaaan!

One of the most memorable villians in Star Trek history.

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!

One by one, the original ST crew has gone away; this time it is one of the best villians on the ST franchise.

Mine's the one with the NCC-1701 keyring in the pockets...

28. pctechxp
    Coat

Real cause of death

His warp core breached

29. Gary
    Coat

@ pctechxp

Don't you mean he detonated the Genesis Device?

Mines he one with the DVDs of EVERY Star Trek episode and film in the pockets. (Yes even the animated series too).

30. GF

RIP

Ricardo Montalban, RIP. He was a great actor. Yes, The Wrath of Kahn was the best. I am still waiting for the Blue-Ray format.

This topic is closed for new posts.