back to article Kenneth Williams tops funniest film one-liner poll

Kenneth Williams has topped a Sky Movies Comedy poll for the funniest film one-liner with his immortal "Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!" from 1964's Carry On Cleo. The survey tapped the opinion of 1,000 "comedians, industry figures and film fans", according to Sky. Film critic Bob McCabe said of the result: "I …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steven

Disappointed not to see

"I've been beating off in the shower for so long I get a hard-on when it rains" from Weird Science....

And surely the Cameron Diaz line is more visual.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The next time I shoot someone, I could be arrested

The one from The Naked Gun doesn't fit. It's a visual gag - it doesn't make sense unless we can see the stuffed beaver. And it's a a two-liner. The people who compiled this list are fools, fools I say.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But...

Now if it were TV one liners:

"Listen carefully, I shall say this only once"

- Michelle of the resistance, 'Allo 'Allo

This is my all time favourite

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sid James

I thought it was Sid James that had the 'infamy' line?

5. Nick Palmer

Sid James

No, Sid James played Brutus, and the line is spoken as Julius Caesar (Williams) is fleeing from a load of knife-wielding senators; hence Caesar crying tragically "Infamy! Infamy! They've AAAALLLL got it in for me!". Although I retain a fondness for Amanda Barrie's (Cleo) description of her servant to Brutus: "Do not be afraid, lover! Sosages is a mute. And he cannot talk, either."

Nick

6. Chris Davis

Pah!

'One-liners', eh? Hrrmph. Thereby missing entirely such gems as the deathless interchange between Peter Sellers and Ringo Starr in 'Magic Christian':

Ringo: 'Dad?

Peter: 'Yes, son?'

R: 'Do words corrupt?'

P: 'Hmm. Not sure. Let's see - Mary?'

Mary: 'Yes, darling?'

P: 'Nipple!' (pause)

'Well, there's no *immediate* reaction...'

CD

This topic is closed for new posts.