back to article Polaroid instamatic reborn into digital era

Click here to view a more bandwidth-friendly version of the video Can't see the video? Download Flash Player from Adobe.com More CES Video Reports... Sony Vaio P netbook taken for a spin Swedish musos mix up handheld hard-drive DJ deck 3M shines light on next-gen micro-projector tech D-Link demos double-up …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Can't be reborn..as it has never exsisted

...there was never a Polaroid 'Instamatic' (I can only comment for the UK of course) 'cause that name was a trademark used by Kodak for their 123 and 110 film cameras. As an aside, the Instamatic name was also never used for Kodak instant print cameras. Oh the joys of working for Dixons in the 1970's!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

123 film?

Much as I hate to contradict a fellow pedant, surely you mean Kodak 126 film? I had an Instamatic 25 when I was young.

Mine's the anorak.

3. Moep

Even so...

The Idea is just strange, it can print a 7x9 picture, and i can´t imagine it can print more than 15 before you need to get new paper. It is certainly more senseless than just waiting and printing it out big. If someone else wants the photo i can still mail it since its a digital photo anyway, so why even bother buying this camera (and paper). I haven´t seen one site that has an actual reason why anyone should buy it, but then again, maybe Polaroid doesn´t know that themselves ^^

4. Mike
    Happy

Actually...

I dunno, I actually find it kind of awesome...

It gives you the benefit of a separate digicam and portable photo printer, in that you can choose which photos to print and print as many copies as you like, yet it's built into the camera itself. The entire process is quite a bit less expensive ($199 for the whole package), more portable and able to be used much more spontaneously than it would be with a separate camera and printer. Also nice is that unlike Polaroids of yore, the printed photos are near full-size.

Sure, the quality isn't likely to be quite as good as with dedicated hardware, but imho the gee-whiz- and fun-factors more than makes up for that.

This topic is closed for new posts.