back to article Lenovo prices up dual-screen ThinkPad

Two heads are better than one, but does the same apply for two laptop screens? If you want to see for yourself your pockets had better be deep because the price of Lenovo’s dual-screen ThinkPad is now confirmed. Lenovo_ThinkPad_W700ds Lenovo's ThinkPad W700ds The W700ds’ existence was leaked online late last month, but …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Robson Silver badge

I want...

They've even managed decent resolution on both screens. It'd stop me having to switch my screen resolutions around any time I need to move around the office...

but £2k?! That's a steep price, even for a decent machine, the engineering in that second screen really does need to be something special to justify that kind of an outlay.

2. Steven Hunter
    Alert

WTF 802.11b/g?

Three grand plus and it's 802.11b/g!? How much the hell could a decent draft-N chip have cost them? Seriously!

3. Mike Shepherd

Teleconference?

Presumably the second screen is for teleconferencing so you can see the person you are meeting with whilst working on the PC, presenting etc. If that is the case it's a useful addition however the price is way too high IMO.

4. Adam

Not just teleconferencing

It is surprisingly useful to have two screens to work on. Have one document on each screen, or stretch big things across both.

I set my laptop up at work for dual-screen useage with an external monitor and couldn't do without it now. Within a month almost everyone else in the office had done the same and looking around most people have an application open on their secondary monitor.

5. Paulds11
    Unhappy

WTF?

This is actually a great idea.. you can never have enough screens and as a Trader looking for a mobile solution (wel just in case :-) ) this is a great looking solution.. BUT cmon dudes this laptop is not worth that kind of money no way .. this is a landgrab at people with surplus cash not able to think about it. in addition the potential now for problems is huge with a moving laptop screen that may lock jam and go wrong, can you imagine the extra service calls and returns on this prodiuct? I think thats why the unit is priced so high because there wont be many sold but the support will be high. I can see laptops in future 17" with tripple screens now one extra each side... but they are going to have to engineer strong rails and pivot system so the laptop will not be very portable with the weight and so were back to that old chestnut... do you want a desktop replacement Laptop or an upgradable PC? because if you want portability.. this really isnt it

6. Lionel Baden
    Thumb Up

maybe later

Well with the recent advances in OLED screens i think this will only show that there is a large demand for dual screen laptops (Ive always wanted one) hopefully other people pick up on this and start producing some more options

As for the rail system maybe they should go ask nokia for some advice or other mobile phone company with lots of experience with slidey stuff

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like