back to article Mandy flies flag for small biz bailout

On the day the British Chamber of Commerce described economic figures for the fourth quarter as "truly awful... unprecedented... no positive features", Lord Mandelson's Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform was busy leaking plans for a £20bn guarantee for small business loans in another attempt to free up …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

The bank bailout

It would be extremely useful indeed if we had a definitive list of which banks have actually signed up to the new mortgage guarantee scheme, being able to defer payments by up to 2 years. Indeed has anyone signed up at all? I am with a division of HBOS, now part government owned and my mortgage company has "no plans" to join it. Has anyone?

2. Snake Plissken

Why aren't people listening to Vince Cable

I'm no Lib Dem party member, but the man has consistently been right all the way through this mess.

3. William Taylor

"Busy Leaking"

You've gotta laugh!

Are the police going to arrest him then and search his flats in London, Hartlepool and Rio?

4. tony
    Happy

LOL,

They 'steal' a plan directly from the 'do nothing' tories and end up having to water it down after wasting £12 billion so people can save a few pence on a new dvd player (funny that most of the things 'vat-table' are imports when they've also driven the price of sterling to record lows)

maybe if they'd done something to benefit the economy in the first place rather than try to chase headlines the tens of thousands of people who've lost their jobs already (and with millions to come) would still be in work.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@William Taylor, RE: Busy Leaking

Has anyone else noticed that the apparent MO of this government is to leak pretty much all policies before announcing them?

I know they do this so that once they have gauged the reaction of the Sun and Mail they can then either announce it (if the papers like the idea) whilst whining about leaks or deny it (if the papers don't like the idea) and protest that they never would have considered such a bad, bad thing, you must be thinking of those nasty Tories, tut, tut, shame on you all.

However it too pisses me off that they don't even have the brains to properly develop policies or the stones to make their policies and then stick to them.

This topic is closed for new posts.