back to article Toshiba lets out Cell TV titbits

Toshiba today re-iterated its plan to introduce tellies based on the Cell processor later this year, pronouncing the PlayStation 3 technology "the future of television". It didn't provide all the details, alas, but Toshiba did reveal rather more than it has before about the top-of-the-range TVs that will use Cell and ship …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Charles

One question...

This upscaling technology, claiming it to be so fast. Is it fast enough to be "gaming realtime"--that is, fast enough that the display lag doesn't spoil timing-sensitive games or will you still need to sacrifice picture quality to drop the lag down to twitch-acceptable levels?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Titbits?

If they're releasing titbits its unlikely to go titsup.

Paris, cause, well... tits.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

re: titbits

what fraction of a Bulgarian airbag is a titbit?

4. E
    Boffin

The cell is like the laser

Some time ago I read a hack on el Reg or the Inq say that IBM hoodwinked Sony and Toshiba into paying for the development of a high power HPC chip that IBM could then sell at a massive markup in serious compute machines.

I can't imagine why I would care what processor is inside a TV. Toshiba made noise some months ago about putting 4 SPU cores and no PPU core inside a DTR laptop, very expensive. But I can run CUDA code on the GPU in some laptops for much less money... and is a laptop really the proper platform for high power computation?

Now Toshiba heralds the Cell TV. Who cares?

Toshiba should do three things:

1) Commoditize Cell tech (like the ARM is a commodity processor) in which case the end user does not care that it is Cell tech.

2) Offer Cell based HPC compute machines to the market. IBM charges way too much for Cell HPC boxes and Toshiba can make money in that market even while it drives the price down.

3) Offer a standard issue PCIe/SATA personal computer running Linux plus a C SPU SDK using a full blown Cell CPU (not an x86 + a Cell, just a Cell) to the market. The average punter will not buy it, but I bet there are a few hundred thousand scientists who write simulation and analysis code who would step up.

WRT to (2) and (3) I point out that there are many scientists who have used collections of PS3's running Linux to do serious scientific computation. They paid about $400CDN per PS3. There is a demand for this processor at a reasonably affordable price. If PS3 sells at about a $100 loss, then Toshiba could just charge a couple hundred more for a machine that runs Linux native, not on an emulation layer like PS3. I think it would sell well.

Outside PS3 and IBM's expensive boxes the Cell is currently a solution looking for a problem.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: Titbits

Well there are obviously 8 Titbits in a Titbyte........

But how many times can you Byte said airbags?

6. Eddie Edwards
    Heart

Want

I'm drooling onto my keyboard right now.

@ Charles: The lag can't be any worse than my current LCD (80ms!)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like