back to article Meltdown turns Time Warner red

Time Warner expects to report a red 2008, thanks to a whopping $25bn impairment charge for its cable, magazine publishing, and, yes, AOL businesses. This would be the media giant's first annual loss in six years. Naturally, it blames the Meltdown. "The economic environment has proved somewhat more challenging than the company …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

Marketers are clueless about the Real World ... Film at 11

"Naturally, it blames the Meltdown."

Naturally. It couldn't possibly be bad business moves made by management who had dollar signs in their eyes at the thought of pushing adds at people 24/7, despite the fact that people are completely fed up with marketing being in their face constantly.

" "The economic environment has proved somewhat more challenging than the company previously expected, particularly for the advertising businesses at the AOL and publishing segments," Time Warner said in a statement released this morning."

Oh, wait ... They *did* push too many ads, by there own admission ... And now people are ignoring ads out of reflex, so advertisers don't want to pay anymore. Cry me a river, BigBusiness. The little guy is fed up with advertising. Get used to it.

Yahoo's toast. Probably followed by Google.

2. Simon Neill

Had to be said

The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

3. N

AOL?

I seem to remember they offered customers a 'free trial' & on discovering the service was shite & cancelling their account with AOL, funds continued to be withdrawn from customers credit card accounts.

A worthy casualty of the recession.

4. Schultz

Spongebob dripping money

So was he just an inflated doll?

5. Andrew Moore

So...

What bonuses did the big boys get then?

6. Bob Howard
    Pirate

I'm shocked...

I was expecting them to blame it on bit-torrents and pirates!!!

This topic is closed for new posts.