back to article Google picks up third spot in spam-friendly shame list

Google has leapfrogged Microsoft to reach third place in a blacklist of spam-friendly ISPs and hosting firms, compiled by anti-spam organisation Spamhaus.org. Microsoft, which cropped up at fifth place on the November edition of the same list, has cleaned up its act to the extent that it no longer appears in the rogues' …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Brian O'Neill
    Alert

bizarre that google does not sort this out...

gmail has the best spam filter i have ever had, i route all my email thru it. I find it incredible that google does not do more to stop these spammers. One side of google is busy blocking spam, while the other side is turning a blind eye to it. Right does not know what the left hand is doing and other cliches...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Google is an ISP now?

"Google has leapfrogged Microsoft to reach third place in a blacklist of spam-friendly ISPs, "

Surely Google is an Email provider, advertising vendor and lastly but leastly a search engine? An ISP? They certainly don't advertise themselves as selling internet connections..

from wikipedia, natch:

"The ISP connects to its customers using a data transmission technology appropriate for delivering Internet Protocol datagrams, such as dial-up, DSL, cable modem or dedicated high-speed interconnects."

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISP)

Of course, maybe they've finally delivered this product:

http://www.google.com/tisp/

3. Xander
    Flame

TISP

was a joke. They do not provide internet access. neither do Microsoft for that matter. Stop calling them ISPs you utter fucknut.

Where's my dead vulture?

4. Robbie Simpson
    Coat

Really...

E-mail is an internet service, and Google provides it...

5. Adam Azarchs

A little premature

Ok, so it sounds like one month google's not on the list, then next month it's on. So this is a recent problem. And they claim to be addressing it. Claiming google has chosen to be "part of the problem" because it's been on the top 10 list for all of a month isn't really fair, assuming they're able to clean things up again quickly.

That said, it does look like maybe google got a tad complacent with their previously good anti-spam rep.

6. Chronos

ISP != ISP

Spamhaus uses "Internet Service Provider" in a slightly different way to Joe Public. Basically, if you're providing a service, such as hosting or mail transit and you have an ASN, you're an ISP or NSP (network service provider).

7. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

The friendly abuse ignore bot

Google could start by accepting abuse complaints. MS could start by not rejecting spam complaints because they contain spam (duh).

Google probably has quite a base of hardcore criminal gangs using their systems. One Chinese credit card thief (Nike spammer) has used Google Groups for years. Pyramid schemes are popular on their blog and web hosting. If past security improvements by Google are any indication, the criminals are having a good laugh over these new claims of cleaning up.

8. David Eddleman
    Boffin

Errors

"Taiwanese telco Sistemnet"

Funny how the domain listed on Spamhaus is "sistemnet.com.tr". I was under the impression that .tr was Turkey, and Taiwan was .tw.

I love Google's spam filters as well, but the issue is that they're hosting tons of fraudsters -- that's why they're listed.

Yes, yes, they're not an ISP.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Errors

Turkey / Taiwan. A not so easy mistake to make. Now rectified.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

try reporting spammers to google...

And you'll give up like I did.

Upon receiving an instance of the ubiquitous "I am the widow of.../ I am the lawyer for..." (from Lagos probably) with a return address ....@googlemail, I thought Google have a good reputation - I'll tip them off to this attempt to use their services for nefarious ends.

Go to googlemail, try and find means of reporting this sort of thing, can't do it. Give up.

11. Trix
    Boffin

Gmail spammers

@AC, about 10 seconds of searching the Support area gives you this form to report spam from Gmail accounts: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/request.py?contact_type=abuse_phishing

Or you could try the old-fashioned and still-conventional method of sending mail to abuse@gmail.com.

12. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

@Xander

"Where's my dead vulture?"

It was starting to pong a bit and the lads running the crack lab in the basement complained, so they buried it. There's a picture of the tombstone now.

13. Greem

Funny...

...that they're no longer in the top ten at all. A little bit of public shaming does wonders, sometimes. Now what about the rest of the feckers?

14. Alan Brown Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Google: Spam havening for a long time.

Google, and gmail in particular, has been home to 419 scammers for YEARS.

Regarding complaining to abuse@gmail, "we" have been doing that for years with no noticeable reaction (ie, no response and no cessation of the accounts being used). It's known in the spamfighting community as a complaint blackhole.

Google supposedly started cleaning up gmail's act a few months ago, but as I understand it their position when dealing with DNSBLs has consistently been "We are too big to block. If you blacklist us, people will stop using your DNSBL"

UUnet, Hotmail and Yahoo have held to the same position in the past (or threatened to sue).

Yahoo is still widely blackholed in part because of their sluggish/zero action about spammers using Yahoo mail accounts, but moreso because they happily host _PAYING_ spammers on Yahoo Stores.

Black helicoptor, because that's what's needed to find and eliminate spammers.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@Robbie Simpson

BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT WIKIPAEDIA SAYS! SO YOU CAN'T BE RIGHT!!1 EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT WIKIPAEDIA IS THE SUM OF ALL KNOWLEDGE!!!1! THE WHOLE INTERNET HIVEMIND AGREES!!!11!! HOW DARE YOU NOT GO ALONG WITH THE WHOLE INTERNET!!!1!1 IDIOT!111

16. Anonymous Coward
    Go

How to report phishing with Gmail

Click on the arrow next to 'Reply' and select 'Report Phishing' from the drop down menu.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like