back to article Anonymous celebrates first anniversary of Scientology protests

Bemasked protest group Anonymous is marking the first anniversary of its campaign against the Church of Scientology with a round of further demos. The group will hold the 12th of its monthly protests against the Cruise-favoured organisation on 10 January, with others taking place on 17 January. Anonymous is a loosely- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Might be worth noting

That they've since diverged from 4chan anonymous at about the same time 4chan's anon were spamming epilepsy support boards with rapid flashing gifs.

It's not cool to be one of the Anti-Scientology Anon's anymore. If I were more tin foil hat inclined, I'd say that CoS seeded 4ch with the seeds of resentment so they'd disown them, but 4chan has been mindlessly trying to consume itself like that for years.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Protest, the cornerstone of democracy

That is all.

3. Steve

Tactics criticised

"Some in the wider anti-Scientology movement have criticised some of the tactics deployed during Protect Chanology, which have included denial of service attacks on Scientology websites and nuisance phone calls."

In fairness, when it was pointed out that this would be counter-productive to their aims, they stopped and focused on traditional protests.

Look up the Wise Beard Man - he is wise and has a beard.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Junior School

In the 60's when I was at Junior School in East Grinstead, (home of Scientology.uk). When I was 7-8, we got a new pupil in the class. He tried to persuade everyone in the class, that Hubbard was god & all the other religious teaching was wrong.

He lasted one term.

5. Gordon
    Alien

Protest is not the cornerstone of democracy

It's the result of an unresponsive democracy.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

CoS

You keep writing it as "Church of Scientology"

When obviously it should be "Church" of Scientology.

Anon for VERY obvious reasons.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@ AC

"It's not cool to be one of the Anti-Scientology Anon's anymore"

Oh, I think you're quite wrong there - it's cooler than ever. On the other hand, being a $cientologist is really quite embarrassing nowadays. The whole Xenu scam is just about ready to fall over.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Inspiring

Scientology cannot win a war of information against the internet itself.

One observation: The 'denial of service attacks on Scientology websites and nuisance phone calls' were short-lived, and abandoned for more productive tactics in late January 08.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Anon vs. Anon

If any of you care to venture onto one of the chan sites and say enter certain boards, i can promise you if you see a post with 'Anonymous' on there, the thread will almost definitely be filled with abuse from the other channers who use the site, what you have to realise is as soon as the 'Anonymous' group came out of their dwellings into the open it killed the whole idea of the feeling of anonymity

10. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Xenu will not be mocked!

Like all good churches, it's always been about money, and loads of it.

Without money and riches they can never 'reach' the real people.

Some hoard it

Some invest it

Some hide it.

But religion is just another form of power WITH money.

PS: The followers of CoS are barking....

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WRONG

"Oh, I think you're quite wrong there - it's cooler than ever. On the other hand, being a $cientologist is really quite embarrassing nowadays. The whole Xenu scam is just about ready to fall over."

As a regular /b/tard for many years now, I can tell you that you are quite wrong.

Scientology fags are the cancer that is killing /b/. They always were, always have been.

It's just groups of stupid little moral fags. The only people that think its cool are the people

that take part in the protests. Most of them dont even know why they are protesting.

I can tell you now. Anonymous is not associated with 4chan never has been. It was just hi-jacked by a bunch of tards trying to forward thier own agenda.

Anyone that claims to be a true anon is a liar.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wouldn't it be amusing

if Cruise did an American version of V for Vendetta.

As usual, I just think energies could be spent doing better things, oh the scourge of Scientology, when really it is just an expensive club with odd rituals, and I think most get this.

I would be more concerned if they really did brainwash and hound people who leave, but I suspect only those in deep get hounded who leave, and they don't brainwash any more than any other group does.

There are civil liberties being lost left right and centre, perhaps the protest could move to that, that would get popular support. And if most bothered to look deep into their cultural roots that would show a rich point of protest, I say bring back the sacred groves :)

13. Mark
    Paris Hilton

Killed Anonymity?

"as soon as the 'Anonymous' group came out of their dwellings into the open it killed the whole idea of the feeling of anonymity"

No, the flames are because people like to be arseholes and are likely scientologists to boot. Anonymous don't give out their names and hide their faces. Anonymity is still alive and well.

See for example your own post.

Or the fact that these anonymous flamers are unknown.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Mainstream religion

There is a number of red flags which make Scientology a cult , one of course being the whole Xenu v Thetan thing.

However there is a growing theory that the more wacky ideas will eventually fade out and CoS will become more mainstream and all touchy feely lets-all-be-nice

Im just throwing it out there .....I for one welcome the mighty galactic Xenu and embrace my inner Thetan.....autism my arse

15. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Re. Junior School

> He tried to persuade everyone in the class, that Hubbard was god & all the other religious teaching was wrong.

Well, he was half right at least...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Steve, Gordon, Mark

You are supposed to post as Anonymous when talking about Scientologists, otherwise it looks like you don't take them seriously!

17. Mark

I can't

The scientologists are just too damn deluded to take seriously.

18. Fredric L. Rice
    Happy

Anonymous is winning

"What is the nature of nonviolent hacktivism? How far is too far?"

The answer is obvious. "It goes all the way to the end." Project Chanology is, after all, a one way street with stated aims and goals that are fairly well stipulated in the original "Message To Scientology."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCbKv9yiLiQ

Until those goals are met, Project Chanology will continue despite the fact that most Channers have left the Project by virtue of considering the effort to be "moralfagdom" however the minority of Channers that have grown up recognize Scientology as a legitimate and worthwhile criminal corporation to dismantle and they recognize the fact that Scientology _can_ be dismantled, ergo Anonymous was spawned to take the errort "all the way to the end."

There is some irony in all this, of course. The ARSCC (alt.religion.scientology newsgroup's Central Committee which, in fact, does not exist) already had Scientology's computer rooms in Los Angeles / Hollywood infiltrated insofar as having one of our own people in there working for us, a Scientology customer who was -- and still is -- working on the inside to reform Scientology to eliminate its core criminality.

The irony is that hacking Scientology computers to leverage access to their systems to retrieve Federally actionable evidence is irrelevant -- there's already enough hard physical evidence to "roll up" Scientology, according to Lt. Ray Emmons' Federal "Summary Report," that hacktavists these days are, well, rather obsolete.

Project Chanology didn't "hack" any Scientology computer systems, not to garner evidence that could be Federally indictable, and not to retrieve otherwise embarrassing information from their systems. Indeed, thanks to the ARSCC and Anonymous, virtually all of Scientology's previously secret bait-and-switch bunko frauds and scams are well exposed and disseminated, much of which is on WikiLeaks.

What Project Chanology did was launch a very mild Distribnuted Denial of Service (DDoS) attack against a few Scientology servers, causing some rather minor disruption but not actually causing any financial or institutional harm. The initial DDoS was a failure that didn't result in any actual damage to Scientology -- and certainly didn't do a thing to dismantle the criminal enterprise.

Wise Beard Man (world wide recognized award winning journalist Mark Bunker) advised an end to the failed DDoS stunt in any event and Project Chanology took on a more mature and winnable direction. The hacktavism that has taken place has been leveraging embarrassing documents from ex-customers and disseminating them widely to innoculate people against purchasing the Scientology Corporation's frauds and scams.

In this respects, Project Chanology has been resoundly successful and Anonymous has been AWESOME. World wide Scientology has at most -- let's be generous -- some 40,000 remaining customers. Scientology's revenues have been gutted and it's only the ignorance of individuals and politicians that allow the criminal enterprise to rook and swindle money -- some times tax money, ie Scientology's "narCONon" / "Second Chance" frauds -- from people and clueless government agencies.

Anonymous is winning. Project Chanology will continue until the last Scientology customer has been set free and, always hopeful, some of these Scientology ringleaders and crime bosses are sent to prison. Until then Anonymous persists and the EPIC WINS shall include caek. Chocolate marble caek, in fact. No lie.

My opinions only and only my opinions, as always.

This topic is closed for new posts.