back to article Firm touts bendy, wearable OLED screen

A US firm has developed a OLED display that’s flexible enough to be worn like a watch, yet large enough to display good quality images on. UDC_flexible_OLED_screen UDC's OLED is very flexible The Universal Display Corporation (UDC) worked with the US Department of Defence to develop what’s been dubbed a “wrist-worn …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark Lockwood
    Boffin

Ergonomic design

Wow, that circuit board wrist strap looks so comfortable....

2. Shaun Austin
    Unhappy

Hmmmm

And please no one notice the enormous lump of not particularly flexible or compact hardware that actually drives the thing!!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Flexible?

If that's the maximum curvature, it'll only ever fit American forearms...

4. Peter Kay

Fake pic

I'll be more impressed when I see a picture which isn't so obviously fake. Real example of technology, please!

5. Lloyd
    Thumb Down

Looks great

Presumably you can run the cable to a backpack containing the huge pcb attached?

6. drunk.smile

"initially developed for military use"

Until they realised that full body chameleonesque camoflage only has an application in computer games.

7. fifi
    Happy

prototype?

Jeez, you lot are a critical bunch, and obviously have never worked in product development or engineering.

This is effectively a demonstration, a prototype, a working proof of concept. It's not a finished product for sale. Do you expect the first sight of a new development to appear in a retail item?

8. Trevor Watt

Samsung have a folding screen in a concept phone.

Don't forget Samsung's OLED phone concept: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/11/24/folding_oled_samsung_phone/

Now that is a flexible screen!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Prediction?

In a decade or two these will probably be cheap enough that consumer packaging will be made of them, and going to the grocery store will be a seizure-inducing neon nightmare.

10. EvilGav

Errr

I seem to remember Cambridge Labs demo-ing a plastic, bendable screen a decade or so ago, albeit only in mono-chrome and only displaying a static image.

The cynic in me says that OLED is being pushed over the Cambridge tech because it has a guaranteed failure point (once the organic element breaks down enough).

11. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Time to lower the tone....

With screen quality like this on your wrist, it's the ideal place for p0rn on the go!

Mines the dubiously stained mac.....

12. xjy
    Paris Hilton

Beyond our noses

For once it makes a lot of sense to see the potential of this kind of thing a decade or two ahead. It's yummy, desirable and addictive, although it's not yet available - the fucking thing will almost sell itself... Like the touch-screen hunger met by Apple after a lot of previous experiments by other makers. The first company out with a stunningly designed and easy-to-use product will rake it in. Like, say, Apple... The future is with us to stay, so to say - as long as our masters and betters don't incinerate us all.

(Paris because she nose everything that matters)

13. Stuart Halliday
    IT Angle

Get real

Far too many posters here are non technical.

The picture is of a bog standard development board set up.

These are products sold to us technical Bods to enable us to make the pretty gadgets you know and love.

Once its finalised it's wrapped up in a nice case.

Whether or not that'll be a bendy box is up to the maker.

Obviously not only the display needs to be bendy, but the PCB needs to be too of course.

14. Dan
    Thumb Up

How big?

I'm thinking 10-20 years from now, when wallpaper can be made of the stuff and I can redecorate a room in seconds!

How flexible? The prototype doesn't seem to flex much, but long until predator-style active camouflage is a reality?

And yes, it is a prototype, so stop bitching about the attached PCB!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like