back to article Barclays cuts more IT jobs

Barclays is laying off another 400 IT staff whose "roles and responsibilities are unclear". This follows the loss of more than 1, 800 jobs in July when Barclays off-shored parts of its IT department. Later that month it also forced contractors to take a ten per cent salary cut. This time the 150 permanent jobs and 250 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Book?

So any one want to run a book on when Barclays online services will fall over?

2. Peter Ford
    Thumb Up

Laying off staff whose...

... 'roles and responsibilities are unclear'

Can someone persuade the British government (and, especially, the UK Civil Service) to try this?

I suspect there might be some significant long-term savings for UK taxpayers...

3. DJ

Barclays crises incoming

In banking it's usually those with no set role or definition that do the actual work, those that know how the 20 legacy systems interconnect and what to do when it goes wrong.

4. Mark Broadhurst
    Unhappy

They need to work on their infrastructure.

While I know virtually nothing about how the internals work I would have thought that IT was one area which they need to make improvements.

Their online banking is a joke and needs a serious look at. the type of look cheap contractors and staff wont do a good job on.

On the other hand it could be a similar situation as a previos place I worked where there were 4 IT managers for every 1 worker. Definatly needed a cull.

Still best wishish and good luck to thos who loose their job over this.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time to withdraw your money and stuff your mattresses

Not a good sign if a bank can't afford to keep the staff who keep itself running 24/7 employed.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

nice...

...To see the reg finding out the numbers before we do... any further detail appreciated

7. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

RE: Time to withdraw your money and stuff your mattresses

Not a good idea considering we could see hyper-inflation in the UK. Swiss Francs looks like a safe bet.

8. Syren
    Unhappy

Typical...

This is just par for the course for Barclays, the Reg finds out before the employees do.

My SO works in 1CP (London) in the IT dept there and at the moment he's not heard anything although the rumour mill is working overtime.

As usual with barclays...we wait.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Can only improve their service if you ask me

Not only did they dump all my direct debit payments, causing me to become best friends with a debt collection company, but when I had them do a direct transfer to pay that company (also a Barclays account!) they lost the payment en route.

Now they're trying to find what they did with my money and get me out of the brown smelly with the debt company (who at least accept that it's a Barclays snafu and are not yet after my testicles with a thumbscrew).

(to this day Barclays say they have no awareness of my ever having had any direct debit payments, even though my statements have years worth of history of them going out regular as clockwork).

Joke icon as that's how I regard their banking services.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

note a surprise

I have had dealing with Barclays on the IT over the years, though my company and I can say I never come across such a badly organised (disorganised) set up made of to many It staff with their own little empires, that stop the any project moving forward even if the board decide it’s should go ahead. I am even surprised that they can get anything to work.

The only places I have seen that are as bad are the NHS and government departments so that should give you a idea of what I mean !

This topic is closed for new posts.