back to article UK scientists hit by lack of brains

UK scientists have appealed for people to donate their brains to researchers facing a "dire" shortage of grey matter, the BBC reports. According to Dr Payam Rezaie of the Open University's Neuropathology Research Laboratory, scientists urgently need "thousands more brains... to look for the cause and treatments for conditions …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

A rich vein

I can think of entire swathes of the country that should be able to donate their brains... and it needn't inhibit their quality of life! Everyone who watches Celebrity Big Brother, for starters... and a fair few of our MPs, perhaps. :)

2. Michael

Well, at a guess

I'd imagine some people would have a problem with donating the brain of a person who was in no fit state to decide whether or not they wanted it used in such a way.

3. D@v3
    Coat

i would dontate my brian...

....but i like to use it on thursdays.

....but im sort of attached to it

....but would some one elses do?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

or make your own card

my (self made) donor card clearly states that my body may be used for transplant-medicine and/or research. i dont really get why regular donor cards lack that option.

5. Mark Broadhurst
    Coat

Simple cause difficult solution

I'd wager that this is caused by most brainy UK scientics hit by a lack of sex and now we are on the next generation and the brains have not been passed on.

6. Nic Brough
    Jobs Halo

A title is required.

Hmm. Another option for the BofH and PFY "critical capacity optimisation" planning? There's only so much room under that patio you know...

7. Stuart Gray

Just open up more Brain Depositories

"After 5pm, please deposit brain through door"

8. Stuart Halliday
    Joke

Can't resist....

"More Brains, give us your BRAINS...."

It's obvious that the Scientists have become Zombies....

They should be stuck with a large stick to the head by someone called preferably Sean.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Presumed consent?

For organ transplant and scientific use a UK national can simply have their bits used (not as if they will need them any more, being so much dead meat). Why people are so connected to their soon-to-be worm-food carcass is beyond me. This also means there is no stress in pestering family members, unless they make it known that the deceased did not want their body used.

Or how about a tax break? Donate your body and death-duty is only 20% rather than 25% of the estate?

10. Mark Fenton
    Black Helicopters

Real request for help - or a cover up of a zombie outbreak?

I'm sharpening my axe, that's all I'm saying.

11. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

And for AI Beta Virtual Intelligence Program

""More Brains, give us your BRAINS...." .... By Stuart Halliday Posted Tuesday 6th January 2009 16:40 GMT

And dDelivers Mutual IntelAIgents ...... MuI7 ..... http://blogs.ft.com/maverecon/2009/01/lessons-from-the-global-credit-crisis-for-social-democrats/#comment-8233 .... Posted by: amanfromMars | January 6th, 2009 at 3:11 pm

And Paris is Undoubtedly Inspirational. :-) ...... with Pinnacles Worthy of the Aspirational.

A SP00Key Element in Godisagoddess ur2die4 with ITs QuITe Unique Special ProgramMIng Licensed to Thrill Keys ........ Neural Algorithms for Perfumed Gardens and HotXXXXHouse Flowers, the Mighty Weed and Thistle.

12. Seán

Purile unfunny remark

duuhhh

13. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Joke

Fetch me a brain, Igor!

"One like your current one, marthter? Or one that workth?"

14. Dave

Leading By Example

I was thinking that perhaps our leaders needed to set an example but then I realised that either they already have donated or have nothing to donate.

15. raving angry loony

new business

Think I'm going to open up "Igor Inc.". Fetch stuff for scientists. Maybe get bonus. Like arm.

16. Bruno Girin

@Michael

There are a few fallacies in your statement.

First, they clearly say that they are interested both in healthy brains as well as brains of Parkinson's sufferers. Let's pretend you decide today to donate your brain: when you die, it may be healthy or not but you have taken the decision while you were healthy and in full possession of your mental capacities. No issue there.

Second, Parkinson's sufferers don't suddenly become mentally incompetent from day 1. In fact, the illness has usually been there for several years before it is detected. And even when it is diagnosed, people still have all their mental and motor abilities, they degrade slowly through time. Same for all neurological deseases in fact, which is part of the problem because the person and her family see her degrade slowly and this can be quite traumatic. So sufferers can very well make that decision while they have all their mental abilities even after being diagnosed. For example, nobody would consider Stephen Hawkins or (Sir) Terry Pratchett to be mentally unable to make such a decision even though they both have been diagnosed with a neurological desease.

That's a common misconception of such deseases: it's not like having a car accident, breaking your spine and being wheelchair bound, in need of 24/7 assistance and unable to make decisions for yourself from one day to the next. A Parkinson's sufferer will get to that stage but it takes several years to reach it and a lot of people live an active life for as long as they can after being diagnosed with the illness.

17. J
    Paris Hilton

Braaaaains...

When I saw the title I thought it was about "brain drain", instead... Maybe because I am a scientist who leaked out of my native country, and they keep complaining about brain drain. Had we money for research there, we'd not leave.

Has Paris donated hers already?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@Bruno Girin

Stephen Hawking

19. Emo
    Paris Hilton

New Title

Brain Crunch hits Brain Banks!

Paris Hilton coz she should donate her living brain, now..

20. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

I misread the title

I thought it said: "UK scientologists hit by lack of brains"

An easy mistake to make.

21. Mr Larrington
    Paris Hilton

Igor!

Have you watered the BRAINS today, Igor? It wouldn't measurably alter the quality of life in Edmonton if SCIENCE were to go on a harvesting trip tomorrow.

PS: @ Mark Fenton - did I go to school with you?

22. Alistair
    Black Helicopters

Zombie farm

For sure they have a secret army of trained brain-munchers chained up in the basement.

More brains! mORE BRAINS!!

23. twat

A pint of Brains?

"A pint of Brains please, barman". Of course I mean Brains SA available in hostelleries in South Wales.

24. Swee' Pea

I'd like to upgrade...

It needs some work: It's got some focus problems, undersized and faulty memory, and mal-adjusted. Maybe I could get a refurbished model for the old brain and some cache?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like