back to article Late bets on new Who hit Paddy Power's pocket

The largely unexpected announcement that 26-year-old Matt Smith will become the next Doctor Who was possibly not quite as unexpected in the actor's home town of Northampton, according to bookmakers Paddy Power. The bookies is £5,000 out of pocket having taken 15 bets on Smith securing the keys to the Tardis, with "with two …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Xander
    IT Angle

Er

So a bookies lost some money... Anyone should care because?

2. Liam

anyone else think this is a stupid idea?

dr who cant be younger than me - im 33. the dr is supposed to oooze knowledge and people buy into it. who the hell is going to buy into an alien looking 26 year old freak?

i dont buy it at all.... to me they have killed dr who :(

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Awww, what a pity

Notice how they don't make any mention of all the cash they'll have raked in from people caught up in the rush to make Paterson Joseph the next Doctor...

4. Pete

Wikipedia

Had the information on his page before the official announcement as well, wish I had had the nous to place a bet now.

I'm not sure how long before it was announced they made the changes though.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They're not bitter because...

...they still made a fortune on it. What's five grand when they will, no doubt, have taken many times that amount on all the actors who didn't get the job? Even BBC news were reporting on rumours of various actors getting the job which will, I suspect, have conned a lot of people into having a punt on those actors.

6. Peter White

Young Doctor ?

This is a children's program.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Go

so who is this guy?

for those of us across the pond and not so intimately familiar with BBC programming beyond the good Doctor, please provide some insight on this guy - what he's done and what he brings to the role as compared with previous Doctors. At first glance, he seems awful young to be playing someone so ancient.

I have to agree with some posters - Tennant has been my fave. He'll be a hard act to follow. Hope the newb is up to the task.

8. Ken Hagan Gold badge
    IT Angle

@Xander

"So a bookies lost some money... Anyone should care because?"

I don't weep for the bookies, but I'm stunned that they thought it wise to take late bets on something like this. It's not like a football match, where you can be confident that no-one knows the result until the final whistle. In this case, you know that a small group of people have the information long in advance and if it leaks out to a part of the web that you and Google) haven't spotted yet, you're open to huge losses and you'll never be able to prove that you were cheated because the happy punters will have nothing in common except for an internet connection.

9. Les
    Thumb Up

@Liam - he just looks young...

The Doctor has looked quite young before, but you'd have been very young at the time. And as a Time Lord, he can look as young as he likes. Some of us have got quite used to him being younger than we are, without ill effect...

10. Jeremy
    IT Angle

@ Pete

Only one day before the announcement:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Matt_Smith_(British_actor)&diff=261479543&oldid=249450474

Still should've gone to the bookies!

11. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: so who is this guy?

Well, I'm only a flightly casual viewer, but it makes perfect sense to me that the Doctor would want to rejuvenate into a nice healthy youthful form. It's an interesting choice.

If it had gone to Paterson 'oi yer've got yer name t'wrong way rahnd' Joseph I'm afraid I would have found his deadpan face distractingly amusing and said "Who's the Johnson now, Johnson?" in a nasal voice whenever he did smoosh an alien or something.

Izzard or anyone really recognisable would have been too distracting also, innit.

12. Rhyd

Is that all?

If I knew for definite, I'd bet a hell of a lot more than £75 at 22/1 odds! Approximately [[insert bank balance here]] in fact.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

The real celebration

I'm just pleased T Davies is finally off the scene!

14. Sam

@Sarah-Do What?

"Well, I'm only a flightly casual viewer"....

HAH! Yeah, right.

Oh, and did you mean flighty or slightly? Either way, watch out for lightning.

Where's the raspberry icon?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Meh, who cares about Who any more?

The series has already been ruined by Russell T. Davies' abysmal "writing" skills (yes I know he's leaving, but his legacy of farting aliens and incompetent cliffhangers isn't going anywhere) - I don't see why they're even bothering to cast decent actors any more.

16. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: @Sarah-Do What?

Hi, Sam.

I meant 'flighty'.

Is that OK?

Swell.

17. Simon Waddington

Peter Davidson anyone?

@Liam:

Although not necessarily the best Doctor, Davidson was only 30 when rocked up in 1981...

18. Eddie Edwards
    Pirate

Russell T Davies

You may not like the details of his work (his queer agenda got on my tits) but the guy single-handedly reinvented Doctor Who for the 21st century. Give him some credit.

19. Colonel Panic

Well surely the Doctor can fix that...

..what with being a Timelord and all. He can go back in time and - oh you work it out

20. Sam

@Sarah

You dodged the bit about being a Whovian.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just a one series stop gap.

I think he has been brought in as a one series Doctor as now Mr Tennant is everyones favorite Doctor nobody decent would want to fill his shoes. Throw this guy on let everyone slag him off and then bring in the next one..

22. Moss Icely Spaceport
    Thumb Up

Is Sarah the new assistant?

I'd like to see that!

23. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Give him a chance

Things are looking up for Dr Who after an abysmal last series.

David Tennant was excellent when he started, but his performance had definitely become a bit repetitive and self-referential by the end of the last series. I put a lot of that down to trying to get some screen time next to the wild gurning and random yelping of the talentless ball of ginger cat-sick they'd landed him with as a travelling companion.

There's only so long that many actors can take being defined by a single role (look at the way people who haven't played James Bond for 30 years are still 'ex-Bond', or all the soap starts who jump ship when they realise they, in the minds of the audience, are indistinguishable from their character) and he has taken the chance to leave.

Russell T Davies did a brilliant job of reinventing the series for the 21st Century, but he also seemed to have written as many variations on a theme as he could, and I'm pleased that he has taken the decision to move aside.

If they had gone for a bit of 'stunt' casting with David Morrissey or Eddie Izzard it really would have been time to put Dr Who out of its misery. So casting Matt Smith, someone with minimal previous exposure, shows that there is at least some serious intention in the BBC to continue to reinvent and develop the series, rather than just cynically milk the existing franchise until it runs dry.

So good luck Stephen Moffatt, and good luck Matt Smith - the show is a bit tarnished and tired at the moment, but it might well be repairable.

This topic is closed for new posts.