back to article Seagate dishes up 1TB drive, looks ahead to 2TB

Seagate says it's the first HDD manufacturer to ship 500GB 3.5-inch disk platters with its 1TB, 2-platter Barracuda 7200.12 HD product. The highest-capacity Barracuda, the 7200.11, can gulp up to 1.5TB of data on its four platters, meaning 375GB per platter. So a theoretical Barracuda 7200.13 could have four 500GB platters and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Samsung will have a 2Tb 3.5 SSD this time next year

at the current rate of growth.

Seagate are screwed in less than 18 months.

2. samuel duckfield

No prizes for guessing...

...how many typical owners of these multi-terabyte drives will be taking regular backups...!

3. Jamie Kephalas
    Paris Hilton

I'd really prefer

more work into making ssd's faster and more economically viable.

PH, she's also out of my price range.

4. hikaricore
    Pirate

meh

As long as their 2TB drives aren't plagued with the problems of the 1.5TB chite the released awhile back I don't care if the do hit the wall. All I want is about 4 of these puppies to make my ultimate raid5 media server.

5. John Colman
    Alert

But think of the flip side!!!

At this rate we'll soon be able to have a database detailing every UK call and email stored in a data centre the size of Jacqui Smith's brain...

6. Steve Foster

@Flip Side...

Yeah, but a data centre that small will be "mislaid" on the 5pm train...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@flip side , steve foster

steve, you and john colman are both assuming Jacqui Smith actually has a brain.

Personally I don't reckon Stephen Hawking armed with an electron microscope would be able to find it, so it really wouldn't matter about a data centre that small getting lost.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New Standard Unit for elReg

The TB or TeraBimbo, 2 TeraBimbos = 1 Whacki-Jacki Brain. Now, how many of them can you get into an olympic sized swimming pool

9. shoong
    Alien

really?

Is 2TB really necessary? How many illegally downloaded movies can fit in there? Like... 2000? Do we really need to continue this outrageous madness?!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like