back to article Siemens patent snafu sees Seagate slip away

Siemens went to the US courts to try and get Seagate to cough up patent royalties - only to be told its patents were invalid. Siemens reckoned Seagate had infringed a group of patents it thought it owned concerned with multi-layer hard disk drive sensor technology in GMR (Giant Magneto-Resistive) read heads. Siemens claimed up …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. A J Stiles
    Happy

Yeay!

This is great news. Hopefully it will send out a message that you can't just sit on a patent and wait for someone to infringe it.

And if Siemens have claimed any royalties in respect of this falsely-granted patent, they can be expected to have to pay them back with interest.

2. Eddie Edwards
    Happy

What?

The judge allowed technical evidence to be given?

Obviously Siemens tried this case in the wrong state. Texas FTW (if you're a patent troll).

3. kain preacher

Uh oh

Maybe they should checked on who Segate licensed it from first. Yea I don't think you really want to get into a patent dispute with IBM.

Wounders if IBM will come knocking for royalties.

4. James O'Brien
    Paris Hilton

Ouch

Though TBH who cares about Siemens? About the only thing I ever see with their name on it is my Dads cell phone which I keep trying to get him to get rid of.

5. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Flame

So why did they wheel Glashow in....

....obviously to impress the jury. He's no engineer and being mathematically adept to the point of ferreting out electroweak unification is not going to help a lot in solid-state physics, thin-film technology or harddisk design.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like