back to article Intel births Meltdown-friendly mobile quad core

Intel has birthed a recession-friendly quad core mobile processor. And you can find one at the heart of a new Acer laptop. Maybe. According to the Intel's latest processor price list (PDF warning), the chip giant is offering five new mobile CPUs as of December 28: one ultra-low-cost quad core and four high-end dual cores. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

The saddest part?

Vista?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Link to price list

Why link to files.shareholders.com for the price list ? It is on Intel's own website: http://www.intc.com/priceList.cfm

They used to put it somewhere under intel.com. I always used to google for "site:intel.com price list" to find it because it was just impossible to find it in their menus. But I found a couple months ago about this investor-oriented intc.com site...

3. James O'Brien
    Flame

Acer?

Seriously Acer? WTF? Who cares about a shit company. I would rather have a Dell then an Acer seeing as 99% of what they put out is trash. Not to mention the blatent lies in the spec they released.

Idiots

4. James O'Brien
    Stop

Acer?

Seriously Acer? WTF? Who cares about a shit company. I would rather have a Dell then an Acer seeing as 99% of what they put out is trash. Not to mention the blatent lies in the spec they released.

Idiots

5. b
    Stop

er, why?

great, looks good on paper..

..but what will the four cores be used for?

what apps can multi-thread?

is this laptop meant for movie directors on the go?

imo, POINTLESS. what even uses a dual core properly?

laptops need to use less power, not more processing power. they should be concentrating on the reduction in the consumption of electricity and extending battery lives.

silly 'top trumps' product development leads nowhere. "i've got better specs than you! :P'

for sure, maybe with W7 or even a W7M, or something beyond that the OS will multi-thread, but looking at M$'s record in producing good clean small OS's that work a treat, what's the chances of that happening?

must be bored..

cheers,

bill

p.s. stuff and nonsense: http://www.eupeople.net/forum

6. Bince
    Joke

Bince

ACER sucks BIG-TIME! I see by the posts that I'm not the only one whom feels the same way about this either. Anyone think that MAYBE AMD will buy out Acer?

LOL!

7. Rex Alfie Lee
    Thumb Up

Use the Cores!

Most programs do not use the varying cores but what would be better is that if the several threads that make up each program were dedicated to different cores. Then the interference between differing programs would not occur; ie spam/virus/worm/spyware trackers could use a dedicated core, browser, email & messenger programs on another, multimedia on another, many of the OS stuff that isn't required for program interaction could be on the other.

This way streaming data wouldn't be interfered with, programs would run the way they are supposed to run, in an unbroken form & the utility programs that protect & operate the system would run efficiently.

This doesn't happen now & breaking programs into slices of cpu makes for a disintegrating OS. Stuff gets lost along the way. Just run a defrag & there's things not working properly afterwards. Slicing can be done but every now & then the slicing backs up too overflow & then things happen that you don't want to happen. Increase the cores, assign specific progs to set cores & these overflow problems should stop.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like