back to article Tabloid girl's jubs freeze at -130°C

If you think it's a bit nippy now in good old Blighty, you'd better get your thermal undies warming on the radiator because the worst is yet to come, according to the Daily Star: Temperatures could plunge as low as minus 130C, Daily Star warns We're obliged to the paper for the chilling warning, and for providing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. yonorri
    Coat

Touched up?

I've studied this picture in detail and have come to the conclusion that the model has been touched up.

Tongue lolling and spittle drooling in a Homer Simpson style...

2. Rob
    Go

-130 WTF!!!!

Sod the bulgarian airbags, we're all gonna die!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Re:Touched up?

Agree. And even the touching up could not disguise that it is more likely to be Liverpudlian than Bulgarian.

Here is how a high quality Bulgarian airbag carrier is supposed to look like (though judging by the family name and town of origin this particular sample may have a significant portion of Russian "improvement"):

http://www.missworld.com/galleries/item?item_id=751

4. alan
    Coat

-130? << that IS a title!! WHY do I need to type this ASWELL??

er...... I thought we used celcius here, not farenheight? Or is this the typical reporting standard for the Daily Star - I don't soil my eyes with reporting of that caliber normally.... just the 3rd page XD

Well if we are in for minus 130C then I suppose we should all go to mexico......

mines the one with the copy of the day after tomorrow in the pocket

5. Jason Baziliauskas

night time of -130 daytime of 20 to 40...

reading the story on daily star site it seems that it'll be a bit of a heat wave during the day with temperatures between 20 and 40C.

Maybe the Daily Star needs to invest in a website which can handle the degree symbol. -13degC to 2 to 4deg C...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stating the obvious ...

... because somebody has to. Someone stuffed up with fonts or cut-and-paste: the degree symbol has been converted to a zero.

But I guess that's cold comfort now.

7. Simon Hamp
    Paris Hilton

Another great gaff by one of Britains finest old media institutions

yes -130C: you read it right... we could see temperatures drop to their lowest ever in recorded history this week as typos abound and suggestible readers don't use their noggins

8. Henry

A matter of degrees

If you read the article (rather than just looking at the picture) it's pretty obvious that they've just replaced all the degree symbols with zeroes.

9. Michael Reed
    Coat

I knew it

I knew that it was a mistake to buy the editor of that newspaper a copy of The Day After Tomorrow. I told him that although Al Gore had endorsed it, it wasn't a documentary. Gotta love the print media's understanding of science.

10. Ed
    Stop

It will be as low as -130C?!

Bollocks will it!

11. gareth

where has this information come from

the met office website is forcasting down to -4 C

as is accuweather.com and the bbc

i think they may be mixing their F and C as im pretty sure the average temperature for this time of year if no 20 -> 40 C. 20 -> 40 F is more reasonable as 30F is ~ 0C

12. James O'Shea
    Paris Hilton

employment questions

how, exactly does one go about getting qualified for doing the 'work' that Lester Haines does, and are there any additional such positions open at Vulture Central?

Paris, 'cause it seems that Lester knows her almost as well as I'd like to.

13. Heff
    Joke

Quick! Someone call richard and judy!

THE NATION MUST BE SAVED! STOCK UP ON CANNED GOODS AND KEROSENE HEATERS, THE BIG FREEZE IS COMIN AND WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!

mmmn, panicky sheeples.

14. Dark Hippo

I believe

that in Siberia when it hits -60, it's cold enough to freeze your eyeballs in your head. Guess it'll make New Years a little more exciting than usual though :)

15. Dave in the States
    Paris Hilton

Wouldn't mind touching those up myself...

'Nuff said.

(Paris for obvious reasons)

16. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

-130C - Thats

nearly as cold a one of SWMBO's "frosty" glances after I've been down the pub^W^W^W discussing world events with some colleagues.

17. Anonymous John
    Coat

A title is required, so mine's the fur lined one, with heavy gloves.

The BBC news website sometimes struggles with temperature too. I've seena couple of items about Global Warming saying things like "Average temperatures will increase by 2C (36F)"

18. Gwilym Smith

Hmm

I believe that ° is the symbol that people are expecting to see. (ALT + 0176)

19. Eddy Ito
    Alert

Article??

You mean there were words near the picture? That said, the young lady is clearly at least a DD and calling it -130C is something up with which I shall not put! Don't worry lass, an injustice such as this won't go unanswered. Just leave everything in my warm hands and everything will be fine.

20. Cameron Colley
    Linux

Cool :-D finally we get superconductors...

... that work at ambient temperature.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Yay!1!!1one!

Dry ice snowball fight! Can't beat that. Just don't rub your nose, it'll probably shatter.

22. Dana Moog

Dress for Success

I was out skiing last weekend at -20 F, with a windchill of -70 F... life goes on. Just dress up for it, don't undress for it.

23. Colin Wilson
    Paris Hilton

Can anyone enlighten me...

Where the hell did the phrase "bulgarian airbags" come from anyway - I think it was a comment on a story, but i'm not sure...

Paris, because you'd love to put your pric^W pin in them too !

24. Justin Case
    Happy

@Henry

"If you read the article (rather than just looking at the picture) it's pretty obvious that they've just replaced all the degree symbols with zeroes."

You mean there was an article?

25. jon

too distracted most likely.....

the copy was pre -written, he just had to fill in the values from the met...

> so -1 , -3 quickly turns into - 1 3 deg, ie -130..... ROFL....

same with - 6 up north...

26. This post has been deleted by its author

27. Miami Mike
    Happy

@ henry . . .

"If you read the article (rather than just looking at the picture) it's pretty obvious that they've just replaced all the degree symbols with zeroes."

There's an article . . . ?

28. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Cold as a witch's tit?

Funny, she doesn't look like a witch.

Grabbing my coat before the front hits...

29. Rob Sked
    Thumb Up

Becuase it's not so quick . . . .

. . . . to type in ALT + 0176

30. Mountford D
    Heart

What are you all talking about?

-130C??? What??? Has she got that tattoo'd somewhere that I'd missed?

31. Charles Manning

Lick 'em

I dare you!

32. Hollerith
    Happy

better warn the girlfriend...

...as she is stacked pretty much as that fair model, but with shorter hair and, um, no snow.

130 degrees below zero? Impossible with something so hot.

OK, I am bragging. I am truly, truly blessed.

33. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Um...

...greetings from a 81°F Hawaii.

Hanging up my coat and getting out my surfboard...

34. Nathar Leichoz

tub girl's tub froze?

What has this got to do with tub girl?

35. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@AC re: Stating the obvious

"But I guess that's cold comfort now."

Absolutely fantastic. People in the hall outside my hotel room are wondering what the hell was so funny now.

36. Andy Worth

Re:A Matter of Degrees

"If you read the article (rather than just looking at the picture)"

Sorry.....there were words?

37. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

O RLY?

@Hollerith

Pics, or we don't believe you.

*Yes I am a coward.

38. This post has been deleted by its author

39. Avi
    Coat

@ "it's clearly farenheit" comments

-130F is still -90C...

40. Steve

Well that should solve our carbon problems

We won't have to worry about CO2 emissions when it all freezes at -57.

"Carbon capture technology" will be a shovel and wheelbarrow.

41. Les Matthew

@Justin Case

"You mean there was an article?"

It did raise a couple of interesting points.

42. Richard Porter
    Alert

Degrees

Yes I know it's obvious what they meant, but don't use ALT+whatever on web sites - it's &degr; or just use Kelvins which don't need a degree sign.

43. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@Andrew Langhorn

Next it'll be Regchan, and were will we be then?

Mine's the one with /b in the pocket

44. Max Forkel

Tip of the iceberg

Now that's what I call a cold front...

45. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Oh dear

Just managed to read the words (look to the right lads, there are some faint smudges visible if you put your hand over the... illustration). "A cold snap" - there will be, if she starts moving at those temperatures. Probably several, in fact. What a shame.

@Steve: quick, grab a patent, you'll be rich in no time flat!

46. Thorne Kontos

Not a single reference to Al Gore

and global warming? What has happened to the dry wit I've grown so used to whenever I flip to the comment section?

Flog me now with those Bulgarian airbags.

47. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

@Well that should solve our carbon problems

Unfortunately even this uncharacteristically cold snap won't stop Mr. Gore whinging...

-57°C is actually the triple point of carbon dioxide not the freezing point (it will freeze, and liquify, at that temperature but only at a pressure of 5.11 bar). At standard pressure you are looking at -78°C ish for it subliming directly from gas to solid (or vice versa), but even then unfortunately the vapour pressure of solid carbon dioxide at -130°C will still be above the ~0.4 millibar partial pressure of the standing concentration of the stuff in the atmosphere (~400ppm) so solid carbon dioxide exposed to air at -130°C will gradually sublime away to a gas, not the other way around.

Damn, we're doomed.

48. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

@Colin Wilson Re: Can anyone enlighten me...

The phrase "Bulgarian airbags" was coined a couple of years ago when a bulgarian woman with implants crashed her car, rupturing her implants which acted like an airbag and saved her life.

Hope that clears things up slightly.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

49. James O'Brien
    Joke

@Not a single reference to Al Gore

Global warming? Screw -130 im certainly warmed up looking at that picture.

/Fading fast from lack of blood flow to my brain

/Can we get more pics of her in other random articles to spice them up some?

50. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

well, what surprised me

About the comments is that there weren't more offers to warm up this poor young lady. i, for one, welcome her snow-covered / frosty bulgarian airbags and would make sure they were suitably treated to avoid frostbite (and, of course, any other exposed portions).....(of course, better half would probably put ME in the freezer then)..

51. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

knew those old prescott p4's would come in handy

time to overclock the prescott p4's and bask in their warm glow ;)

mines the coat charred to a crisp from being to close to the prescotts heatsink

52. Turbo Beholder
    Linux

Two words:

"oxygen rains"

53. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Beautiful peice of misquoting to insight fear

They mis-quoted the Met Office

“We have already seen overnight temperatures as low as minus 130C in the Scottish Highlands this month and at the end of November.”

somehow i doubt that applies to the rest of the country, just the highlands... but seriously, lovely work, almost as good as the headlines in actual tabloids, *claps*

i hate marketing

54. Tony Humphreys
    Paris Hilton

Um

Sorry, was there a story too? Did'nt get past the picture.

This topic is closed for new posts.