back to article Nintendo Wii to get video channel in 2009

Nintendo plans to launch a video channel in spring 2009 for its money-printing machine, the Wii game console. The video-distribution service will initially only be available in Japan in collaboration with Dentsu, the country's largest advertising firm. According to the AFP news group, Nintendo expects the service to offer a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark Brown
    Thumb Up

Hallelujah!

With a bit of luck a video channel should get Tversity (and similar) working simply by having no bloody outdated flash interface to run through! Here's hoping they set iplayer through it an' all.

2. Jon Brunson

iPlayer in the UK?

I wonder if this will also be the first steps towards a proper BBC iPlayer channel for us in the UK? I know you can use the web browser, but the less clicks the better!

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Shades
    Coat

Marketing b*ll*cks

"Nintendo and Dentsu shall use the environment surrounding the Wii so that living rooms with Wii-ready TVs would become more of a fun area for communication among families and friends"

AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!

In other words: We'll be sending even more crap (and adverts, lots of adverts) to you via your Wii... Don't forget it has to be via a Wii-ready TV, not your non-Wii-ready TV or a common-or-garden TV with a Wii plugged into it. We'll be delivering this crap to an area that, before Wii-ready TVs, has previously served for many many years as a fun area for communication among families and friends... Without the need to be glued to the box-o-shite for ever increasing amounts of time while we pump you full of crapverts under the false pretence of a service that will enhance your life.

I could go on but I'll end up exploding!!!!!

5. Bad Beaver

what?

"living rooms with Wii-ready TVs"

I do wonder what makes a TV "Wii-ready", but I highly welcome the opportunity to phone friends and family inquiring on whether they had a Wii in the living room and on how they rate the value of the experience. I'll likely employ an iPhone well equipped with fart-apps to enrich my personal communications experience.

6. David Gosnell

Re: iPlayer

Another "vote" for improved iPlayer. They keep promising improvements, independence from Opera etc, but ooh, they moved some buttons around for the last major release, IIRC. The Nintendo Channel currently available shows just how damned gorgeously full screen streamed video can be done.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seem to remember

some Iain Banks book, Walking on Glass I think it was where they has a couple of the characters playing endless games, until one stumbles into a room full of people being fed by some food train as they existed only in a virtual reality.

I suspect this is just another step forward to that utopia.

8. Andrew McLachlan
    Thumb Up

SD card for storage of media?

There is no technical reason why with a bit of DRM and a big old SD cardthey can't either start their own or partner with an existing video service.

Hulu anyone?

;)

9. GHok

Hmm

Who remembers Sega TV?

10. DutchOven
    Paris Hilton

Nintendo TV shows

...because Nintendo have got a pedigree in bringing "quality" family entertainment to your TV.

Remember the Pokemon cartoon? Remember how cheap and badly animated it was?

It's FAR from their worst. Nintendo have a history of bringing us this unmitigated shite by the bucketload. They seem to do it only in an attempt to flog games to young children. You only have to see any of the Mario cartoons, the Zelda cartoon, Kirby and Donkey Kong cartoons, Captain N: The Game Master etc. They all make Pokemon seem like ART.

So Nintendo had better do something impressive because everything they've done so far should be making them weep with embarassment.

Paris - 'cos even she's not dumb enough to think Nintendo make good TV shows.

11. Rob
    Go

Intersting developoment

Wondered how long it would be before they would do this, let's hope they will roll out more channels after they have done all their testing with this one. I for one would like to hire a movie via my Wii (sorry the missus Wii).

Put my name down for "iPlayer on the Wii petition".

Also Wii ready TV, what a joke, I don't see a HDMI connection on my Wii, so who's ready? The Wii or my TV.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like