back to article Enormous HP box spotted from space

Our recent shock revelations of HP's apparent desire to bury our beloved home planet under the maximum packaging possible have attracted much reader feedback regarding just how the world's biggest consumer of cardboard and bubblewrap intends to destroy Mother Earth. Mysterious object spotted <p>on Google Until now, however …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andrew Moore

Bravo

This one deserves a golf clap.

2. Daniel Wilkie
    Heart

:D

This is the best christmas present ever :D

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

That's another keyboard ruined...

... well, would have if I had been drinking coffee at the time.

Think we need a "NSFK" (Not Safe For Keyboard) label for these posts.

But tell me, just how many pints were consumed and isn't it a bit early for *that* much alcohol?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

*Doffs hat*

Chapeau, Monsieur!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Peterborough?

Everyone knows putting Tora Bora into a satnav gets you directed either to Toro Rosso's factory in Italy or to Tara Palmer-Tompkinsons's house.

6. Xander
    Thumb Up

Excellent

An excellent start to Monday. Cheers, Lester

7. Aaron Harris
    Unhappy

How disapointing

Take a look here, they must have got word and taken down the structure, in the night...

52.59432,-0.198612

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Could never happen

Peterborough is a city that requires special permission from six archbishops before you build anything over one metre tall in case it blocks someone's view of the cathedral. While this thankfully limits the number of high-rises to one, it also makes the entire city crap.

Proud to have escaped.

9. Mark Knowles
    Paris Hilton

Cheered up my Monday morning

Cheers Reg, think you managed to cover pretty much all the bases with that one - shame you couldn't crowbar Paris into the story somewhere though (maybe a cameo on page 3?)

10. Michael

It's good to see

that even at Christmas you keep your journalistic integrity high.

11. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Linux

Crikey ..... Whatever next.

I'm lost for words, Lester. Bravo. :-) And applaud the Post Modern Revisionist Nativity Play.

"At maximum resolution, the chilling truth is revealed:" .....AI Promising NIcelandscape?

And the penguin is appropriate on so many levels.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Exellent

I have to say, that was FAF (Funny as Feck). Well done guys for making me smile. I especially like all the references to other stories over the last few months.

Maybe a pictorial BOFH is on the way?

13. FreeTard
    Thumb Up

What can be said to this?

... Is it April 1 2009 yet? Or has El Reg just had the Xmas party and written today's articles while drunk?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

ROFLOL!

Funniest thing I've read in ages.

15. Skip Intro
    Coat

Taxi...

... for Mr Haines.

16. Paul

Early Xmas pressie

Has Lester opened his Chistmas present early and decided to play with it ?

17. Andus McCoatover
    Thumb Up

Priceless!!!

I laughed like a drain! (still cackling like a drunk, but as I'm in the pub, no wonder..) Thanks!!

18. Dominic Kua
    Thumb Up

This is the kind of Journalism

This country needs more of. How is it that it's left to a tech rag to publish these harrowing pictures, while the mainstream press ignore what's happening on their doorsteps?

Bravo El Reg, Bravo.

(Can you get an interview with Mr O Prime? I'd love to read that!)

19. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Is their anyone in IT...

...who can't indentify with this inspired, if not bizarre, piece of scripture?

Paris, because she's got a big box too.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Must nearly be Christmas..

..the bosses are off on Christmas holidays and the office staff don't know what to do with themselves..

Paris? She knows what to do with herself.

21. Vincent
    Heart

El Em Ay Oh

Bloody brilliant article!

22. Wolfman
    Joke

Peterborough

As a Peterboroughian (or 'Scum' as we're sometimes known) I can confirm that this package has been there for some time. Geoff Capes originally tried to deliver it when he was working for the Royal Mail in Peterborough, but the intended recipient not being at home, he tossed it over the fence into next door's garden. Unfortunately the Google maps resolution isn't high enough to see the multitude of red rubber bands he also left at the scene.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

What? friday already?

hurrah!

24. Lottie
    Thumb Up

Superb!!!!

Title says it all

25. Kane
    Go

Thank you...

...Lester. Brightened my day!

Particularly liked "the presence of a rival manufacturer's figurines in a traditionally Playmobil reconstruction an affront to continuity".

/chuckle

26. Lee
    Paris Hilton

It's faked

anyone would know that locals refer to the place as Peterboghorror.

Ergo I out you lot for faking the images in this story.

You'll have to try better to get one past me. A quick flash of Paris' Whotsits might help :-D

27. Rob
    Happy

Quality...

.... pure class, well done :)

28. Admiral Grace Hopper
    Happy

<Insert Applause Here>

Outstanding work.

29. Andus McCoatover
    Joke

@Lee

Oh, pull the udder one...;-)

30. Corrine

@FreeTard

The articles are *always* written while drunk.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@It's faked

I have checked too. The box is not there anymore.

But maybe it had been in the field when the picture was taken,

and afterwards the packge was send back to the sender because it could not be delivered.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

FTW

Happy christmas to you, too!

33. Stu
    Alert

Brilliant

Nowt like a bit of a PlayMobil humour first thing on't near-to-xmas-monday morn!

Very apt, I thought, when someone above labelled this as a 'Post Modern Revisionist Nativity Play' as its the closest thing I've come to a nativity play in about 30 years.

Factual too, not unlike recent Top Gear review factual-ness.

Optimus (Mr) Prime RULES!

34. jai

excelletn

glad to see that there's as much work being done in El Reg Towers on xmas week as there is in my office here

i hope you haven't gone to all this effort in the hope that it will placate us for the rest of the week so you can knock off early for xmas - we're expecting a playmobile story tomorrow and wednesday now

35. Jimmy Floyd
    Happy

Crikey

What have you at El Reg been smoking...?

36. Steve
    Paris Hilton

Bravo indeed!

Good one Mr Haines, you are the best journo at El Reg!

Paris sends her love...

37. Tim

Magnificent!

Merry Chrimbo all

Tim#3

38. Christopher
    IT Angle

Where is the HP tape?

All HP boxes have HP tape and I see none (Don't tell me they don't I have ordered from them for years never once have they not used their HP branded clear tape)? Where is the HP sticker on the ram? This obviously is not sent by HP but someone who has received the box and recycled it by sending it on.

39. James Pickett

A+

Presumably you need a box that big to keep all the Playmobil in?

Good work Lester, especially for a Monday! :-)

40. Piers
    Happy

Stupid, pointless, brilliant...

...and a merry christmas to you all as well.

41. James O'Brien
    Joke

@Where is the HP tape?

They ran out due to all the other packaging they had to send out. They made due with what was left.

Lester AWESOME reconstruction.....just wish I was at work when I had read it :P

42. ChrB
    Heart

Brilliant - Superb - Magnificent

I miss the words - great work. Absolutely breath-taking. All the references here... I stay dumbstruck.

Jeez I love it: Thank you Lester - this *is* Christmas indeed!

Chris

43. Charley
    Joke

Am I the only one

who saw the first pic on page three and though it was going to be about the London Olympics?

44. John B
    Thumb Up

A thing of beauty

Well, it would be round here. I'm typing less than a mile away, and the box blocks most of the Tesco depot out. How we love them, with their fridge engines running 24 hours a day, the crazed Polish HGV drivers hammering up and down the local roads, and the hordes of Lithuanian fork lift drivers banging in and out of the trailers. Other amenities nearby include the local traveller site, with its picturesque rubbish moraine, and further afield the McCains factory emits its exciting aromas of chip fat and boiled sewage. Nature has its place with the abandoned brickpits and the River Nene to the south, out of which are dredged cars, sometimes containing the occupants, and on one occasion a horsebox, still containing its occupant. Bright spots include the "Argos Cenotaphs", set up to commemorate those too drunk to steer, swim, or breathe under water.

Peterborough, so good they named it once.

45. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Very funny!

Bravo on the playmobil constructions.

Made me chuckle a lot.

Peter

46. Andus McCoatover

Don't bother..

I think that the Metropolitan Police's firearms unit's tuneful rendition of "The Boys from Brazil" was only a number 7 hit.

Bunch of Charlies.

47. Melanie Howe

Shrubberies nearly crushed by ginormous carton

Just the thing to bring a smile to this beleaguered mug. It's a pity that carton didn't fall on a certain high-ranking US government official from Texas....

48. g00p

Oh Dear...

..I hope thats not a picture of the HP server box i just threw out :P

Nice one Reg, something to giggle about on this dull day :D

49. Andus McCoatover

(Don't publish, but...)

Could you put this article about the HP/Peterborough box into the "Don't miss" section, at least till over Christmas? I'ts a classic, and in danger (endangered?) of dropping into the archives where it'll be forgotten. It REALLY is good!

50. Thomas Guymer
    Happy

Kudos

:D

51. Richard

so who at el reg had the copious supply of play mobile?

hummm.

52. Sureo
    Gates Horns

Bye

Ship the box to Taliban HQ along with the man in the photo, left.

53. Bruce
    Go

Noice

Now that's a real news story.

54. Scott F. Gunelius
    Thumb Up

Everything but the kitchen sink.

I miss out on some of the references being a Merkin and all, but still choked on my coffee at some of the images. St. Nick just delivered some playmobile figures for my kids and we just got a new digital camera, so I might have to put something together for the folks here across the pond...Wal*Mart+iPhone maybe...

55. Moss Icely Spaceport
    Thumb Up

Peterborough Horse Box Diving Club

Bravo el Reg, magnificent stuff that!

Also:

@ John B

You sir, made me laugh out loud!

I loved your wildly descriptive piece on the obviously marvelous Peterborough *

Well done also.

* Tongue firmly planted in cheek.

56. James Woods

Dimm memory requires pants packaging

DIMM is in fact a direct Japanese translation for 'object requiring substantial over packaging, thus rendering its appearance larger than it is’. This has led to a range of DIMM underpants being created in Japan, which have proved exceedingly popular amongst Japanese men.

Isn't everything on the web true?

This topic is closed for new posts.