back to article First lady of Star Trek dead at 76

Majel Barrett Roddenberry, widow of Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry and first lady of the seminal science fiction series, died early Thursday morning. She was 76. Roddenberry died of leukemia at her home in Bel-Air, said a family spokesman. At her side were family, friends, and her son, Eugene Roddenberry Jr. She was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alan Esworthy

Thank you

Thank you, madam. You enriched my life for many years.

2. Neil Docherty
    Joke

Replacement...

Now that Knight Rider has been (almost certainly) cancelled, perhaps they can get Val Kilmer to do the voice of the Enterprise in Star Trek XII!

3. Kristian Durvin

Good-bye

She lived long and prospered....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lady Morella is dead?

That is all she saw, and all she wished to see.

5. David Webb
    Unhappy

Goodnight

She will be missed, her performances in TNG and DS9 will be fondly remembered, and no future Star Trek will be the same without her as the voice of the computer.

6. Gordon
    Unhappy

earth final conflict and star trek

I spoke to her once about the role she played in "earth final conflict" she was such a nice lady, she will be missed, her work and, voice will live on in the "start trek Library Computer Access/Retrieval System" ( lcars), for iphone and computers out on the net.

we will all miss her

7. Haku
    Happy

Also thank you.

The world of Star Trek & sci-fi will never be the same again, Gene & Majel left a mark that will live on for probably longer than anyone can imagine.

The past couple of weeks I've been re-watching Andromeda and right now I'm watching the final episode.

Looking forward to the new Star Trek film next year, even if the sets do look like something from Galaxy Quest!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Me too.

Thanks Majel Barrett Roddenberry.

It wouldn't have been the same without you.

9. jake Silver badge

Sigh. :'-(

Farewell, lovely lady. You will not be forgotten.

10. Trevor Pott Gold badge

It's a far, far better thing I do than I have ever done before...

...a far better resting place I go to, than I have ever known.

Fair journey, Madam. Thank you for the memories.

11. Chad H.
    Unhappy

The voice of the future has been silenced...

I think that says it all really.

12. Chris Simmons
    Alien

Majel quote:

"I don't think we're wasting people in space. "

13. AngrySup
    Heart

My nurse, my computer, and my mother-in-law

Christine Chapel, RN, PhD, MD, .wav, and PITA and the voice of the first computer that I ever fell in love with. Rest in peace, Majel Barrett-Rodenberry.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The only way I could express it...

We are gathered here today to pay final respects to our honored dead. And yet, it should be noted that in the midst of this sorrow, this death takes place in the shadow of new life... the sunrise of a new world...

...a world our beloved comrade gave her life to protect and nourish. Of all the souls I've encountered... her's was the most... human.

(Reminded to me by http://www.melonpool.com/d/20020704.html )

15. Craig Chambers
    Thumb Up

@Mycho

I always thought that it was a major coup for Straczynski to get her in B5.

She was a legend.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Second star to the right ...

and straight on till morning. ...

Thank you Majel, the honor has been ours.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

No-one else has said it so...

I will!!

The End of an Era.

Star Trek has always given a feeling of hope for the future, and Majel was a big part of Star Trek, even more so than Gene in some respects; can the philosophy behind Star trek survive her death??

Hopefully they have enough voice recordings of her to synthesize for any future films or TV series.

Mine's the one with the black arm band and the pockets filled with tribbles.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Craig Chambers

Actually, it was a peace offering. Some ... less than scrupulous individuals had lied to her about what B5 was going to be which led to a very public bust-up between her and JMS. Lady Morella was therefore a very public getting over of it.

19. Christoph
    Flame

Tough.

I might be slightly more sympathetic about this if that "official Roddenberry website" stopped spamming me.

20. Martin Lyne

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

This is sad news indeed.

21. Doug Glass
    Heart

TDY Completed

"Beam me up Scotty, Earth mission completed successfully."

22. Wokstation
    Unhappy

Very sad indeed

She's undoubtedly recorded sufficient material to continue to use her voice as that of Federation computers in the future, but should we?

Farewell. You will be missed.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aww...

Does anyone else think her voice should live on in future Star Trek productions?

The countless hours of voice material she has provided, and with today's technology, it shouldn't be too hard to synthesize her voice.

I will miss her presence both on and off screen.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I had the pleasure of meeting Majel some years ago

she was a truly gracious and inspirational lady who will be much missed. My condolences to Eugene and the rest of her family

25. Rasczak

Illiad's Tribute

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20081221&mode=classic

26. blackworx
    Heart

Computer

End program

27. Quirkafleeg
    Thumb Up

UF says it all

http://www.userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/08dec/uf012221.gif

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

She could be the synth voice

at the moment things like umbrola and festival are in need of well constructed voices, if a company put some effort in they would probably get community interest as well.

I was quite surprised to find out who she had played, and she is one of those cool actresses that seem to be in a lot of things, but not hogging the limelight of self recognition, very clever.

29. GF
    Thumb Up

Thank you...

Despite Majel suffering from leukemia, she finished her role in J. J. Abrams Star Trek prequel. That is a very dedicated actor.

I will definitely miss her and glad that she was able to see the success of Star Trek. She is a legend in her own right.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@anon: will there be future startreck productions

I'm not a huge trecky myself, but I think startrek's message of idealism, of a better future through technology and cooperation, was a big influence on me and a generation of engineers.

A lot of the original tallent around startreck has gone, and there seems to be a perception it wont sell anymore. I think thats sad. Its not the end of the world, but what cultural influences are there to inspire the next generation?

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Live on

One of the things I liked about the later ST incarnations (though there was plenty to *not* like!) was the identical voice for all the computers. I loved that emotionless but every so slightly condescending way she played them.

Indeed it would be a shame for future ones not to be voiced by her :-(

32. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Vale

Thanks fair lady, for all the memories, and the revolutionary entertainment you brought.

33. Phillip Brown
    Unhappy

One more space shuttle mission then....

so she can be 'buried' with Gene.

34. Gordon Grant
    Thumb Up

... To boldy go where no man has gone before

Majel Barrett-Rodenberry we thank you for giving the enterprise a voice, it would have been rather dull without it. Can you imagine not hearing the computer say "Enter when ready" on the holodeck?

Your on screen parts were always troublesome to the Captain although more so Poor Captain Picard.

Your presences on and off screen will be sadly missed.

To paraphrase a quote from ST II:

From the many who watched,

And the few who met you

to the one first lady of startrek..

We thank you.

35. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Damn

Oh, raindrops

So many raindrops

It feels like raindrops

Falling from my eye-eyes