back to article Vodafone Mobile Connect 'super 3G' data card

It's been more than three years since the UK got its first 3G mobile phone network but a little less than two years since cellco Vodafone allowed its customers access to the technology. It's not hard to see why it waited: the early hype about mobile broadband quickly proved unjustified. But a last we're coming to the end of a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

S.Africa cheaper as no Billions paid to Gov for 3G Licence

An interesting comparison..@ ZAR 12.50 / GB Pound

Connection Fee(Once-off)

ZAR 97.00 UK 7.76

Monthly Charge / Subscription (24 Months)

inc FREE Data Card

ZAR 350.00 UK 28.00

Included Data 500 MB

Out of Bundle charge

ZAR 2.00/MB 16p / MB

OR

Connection Fee(Once-off)

ZAR 97.00 UK 7.76

Monthly Charge / Subscription (24 Months)

inc FREE Data Card

ZAR 599.00 UK 47.92

Included Data 1 GB

Out of Bundle charge

ZAR 2.00/MB 16p / MB

3. Robin Hall

No UMTS?

When not in an HSDPA area, do you not drop back to UMTS? GPRS is significantly slower than UMTS which is what I'm using now (with the original Vodafone Mobile Connect card.)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vodafone HDSPA - overpriced, badly sold

Vodafone refuses to sell the card to customers who are not registered with Vodafone as corporate account holders. The monthly cost is £50.

In contrast, T-Mobile will sell its version of the card to anyone, and the monthly cost is £17.

There are are minor differences in the services available via the 2 versions, but the connection speed in London is identical.

I would urge anyone considering 3G broadband to look at T-Mobile. After 10 years of stomaching every inefficiency from Vodafone, it has been a pleasure to deal with T-Mobile.

AB, London

An ex-Vodafone customer.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

tried it and liked it

Had a play with one of these over the weekend, and was impressed with it. Currrent software doesn't fall back into a lower grade network, but new products in the offing from Vodafone will have that ability.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

South Africa Mobile Charges Horrific

Anyone looking at data charges in South Africa need to take into account that what may appear cheap to us is actually very expensive to South Africans who generally earn far less than what we do here.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good Value for Ireland

The same card is available on Voda Ireland (HSDPA not activiated until later this year) with an all-you-can-eat data tariff of €49 per month. (subject to T's & C's.)

Incidentally one of which is VOIP is prohibited, so I suspect the UK deal is the same.

I also understood that the same deal was available in the uk for £37.50 or thereabouts.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like