back to article McCain campaign sells unwiped Blackberry for $20

A Blackberry containing sensitive information belonging to the now-defunct presidential campaign of John McCain has made its way into the hands of a Fox 5 reporter, who was able to purchase the unwiped device for a mere $20. The Blackberry, which was sold this week during a liquidation sale, contained some 50 phone numbers of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. NukEvil
    Coat

Minor difference between US and UK...

The US sells its data. The UK gives it away for free.

Mine's the one with 2 unencrypted CDs, several unencrypted thumb drives, a few SD flash drives, an unwiped blackberry, and a wallet missing $20 in the pockets...

2. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects
    Boffin

The US sells its data. The UK gives it away for free.

But we have much better controls on the law after the event. It is soooo much cheaper than keeping it doncherno.

3. Apocalypse Later

McCain online

McCain's "confession" that he is not very internet savvy is not as simple as his detractors make out. The man cannot use a keyboard, or indeed mouse, due to old injuries sustained as a prisoner at the hands of the North Vietnamese (his arms were broken multiple times). How computer capable would any of us have become if we had never able to use a keyboard or mouse?

Of course, for politicians at this level there is usually a competent secretary to take care of such things. Ex-president Clinton is said to have personally sent only two emails during his eight years in the White House. Where are all the articles referring to slick Willy's computer illiteracy?

4. Kevin

eh?

I don't see why people were so hung on Mc Cain not knowing how to use a computer. Lets face it if most of the politicians knew anything about computers they would never have passed such half assed laws like the DMCA in the 1st place.

5. Brian
    Jobs Horns

Nice....

I'll take an un-erased Blackberry for $5 off McCain's hands ANY DAY!

It must be fun seeing what they have to say about some of those saps....

6. Charles Manning

@Apocalypse Later

"Can't use a keyboard because of injuries"... what absolute tosh!

There are plenty people out there with far worse injuries that use a keyboard & mouse every day as part of their work and play.

McCain should not be personally in charge of deleting data, but a fish rots from the head. McCain made very poor choices in many areas including, it would seem, IT.

His most public showing of lack of judgment was getting Palin for the VC gig.

His most public showing of lack of leadership was not being able to control her.

If he could not control someone he vetted and selected, how the fuck would he have been able to control a person that he had not chosen and had less hold over?

7. Corrine

McCain's physical ability

McCain is perfectly capable of using a computer (physically) or was in the past, he could have crippling arthritis now or something. He was a pilot after getting out of the POW camp (eventually, he spent a long time learning to walk again), and held a desk job that would have required using a typewriter. The only lasting injury is that he can't lift his arms above his head. Which sucks, but won't keep you from using a computer (I know a sys admin with the same problem).

8. Ted Treen
    Coat

Any takers?

I bet the seller was a member of Wacky Jacqui's Heimat Abteilung on sabbatical or secondment.....

Old habits die hard....

Mine's the one with Wacky's autobiography - "My Struggle" - in the pocket.

9. Daniel

McCain's old injuries

Actually, I know 2 people who are severely disabled, far worse than what my understanding of McCain's injuries are, who use a computer. That having been said, they use accessibility aids, and they are slow compared to an able bodied person. If I were in McCain's shoes, I'd have an assistant do most of my actual interfacing as well.

-Daniel

10. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

@ Apocalypse Later

You don't actually 'buy' that stuff about 'old pow injuries' do you?

Methinks it's largely made up or at least exaggerated.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

a fish rots from the head

eh?

Paris 'cos she knows a thing or two about head

12. Andy Worth

@ Apocalypse Later

Not that I buy into McCain being too severely disabled to be able to use a computer - because I don't - but how does that excuse him from the responsibility of taking on a member of staff who can cover for his lack of I.T. knowledge?

Personally, if I had a campaign using a large amount of computer-based data and knew nothing about I.T., one of the first things I would do is to hire a decent tech consultant. It's just management 101 really to take on staff who understand the things you don't.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Raspberry

This should have been Sarah Palin's Blackberry, would have been more befitting.

14. Norfolk Enchants Paris
    Paris Hilton

@Charles Manning re fish

I have to agree with AC. I've never seen a fish rot before my eyes but I'd assume that the guts would rot as fast as the head.

Has anyone got some scientific evidence to back up Charles' outrageous and inflammatory claims that a fish rots from the head? Charles must be stopped before he hits the ground running and brings more value to the table with seamlessly integrated, yet consumer oriented, market leading cliche delivery services.

PH - a living cliche

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At least with Labour.......

they save you the trouble of having to buy a mobile or laptop to get the information, lol.

16. TMS9900
    Stop

Bullshit...

So, a Blackberry full of potentially embaressing information of a presidential candidate is flogged on FleaBay and just *happens*, to be purchased by a reporter.

You know what?

Bollocks.

That's what that is. Total bollocks.

Anyone who believes that is a total fucknonk.

17. Low-country boil
    Thumb Up

No, no, it's not a coincidence, just a conspiracy

Actually, the little RIMmer apears to have been purchased at the offical McCain-Palin headquarters garage sale that was advertised in the papers - not on ebay. I'll bet 90% of the purchasers of those lappies and crackberries were garbage-picking media drudges looking for a scoop. Given the clear provenance of the equipment, only an extreme fool would have not thought to make sure the electronics were sanitized - preferably with a hammer. Perhaps the senator's POW injuries prevented him from wielding the proper tool.

However, since even the lowliest Geek Squad temp would have known better, it is my firm belief that the information was planted to give the false impression that McCain actually had 50 people working on his campaign.

This topic is closed for new posts.