back to article Griffin Elevator laptop lift

Griffin calls the Elevator a "space-saving laptop stand". I'm not sure about "space-saving", but it's unquestionably something you might very well want to sit your notebook on, particularly if your neck's giving you grief. Griffin Technology Elevator notebook stand The elevator comprises a pair of U-shaped angular metal …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nick Palmer

So...that's £30...

...for 2 u-shaped bits of metal and a plastic bar, then? There's no height or angle adjustment, which makes it an ergonomic no-no as far as I'm concerned. Kensington do it better - for a few quid more, you get full height and angle adjustment, and a 4-port USB2 hub.

Nick

2. Marvin the Martian

Improvements

I've been using my own two self-made ones, and I reckon they're even better: they tilt the base of the laptop to 45degrees, hence the alledged cooling effect should be much stronger as there's a better flow of air.

Also one of them consists more or less of two triangles with a hinge, making it easily transportable.

And both are wood painted with hammerite, THE choice for vanguard fashionistas --- coloured half-transparant plastic is out, white plastic is past, shiny black is passe...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iCurve Mk2?

Hmm .... this looks like a tarted up version of Griffin's old iCurve and it has inherited the same problems; looks great but is functionally useless. May be OK for fashionistas or people who use their laptop occasionally, but I wouldn't fancy sitting in front of it all day if my iCurve experiences were any indication (I went back to the stack of books approach)

The Kensington laptop stand mentioned by Nick Palmer (above) is far, far better in terms of functionality (does the whole tilt/swivel thing, and the 4-port hub is a godsend) and costs about a tenner more. Of course, it doesn't look as nice ...

4. Dave Skinner

The logitech Alto is cooler

The Logitech Alto elevates the laptop but also provides a full-size keyboard (which can fold out of the way) and a USB hub so you can have a mouse permanently plugged-in too. Sort of like a docking station with a convenient screen height.

We bought one to evaluate a few weeks back. Now we've got a dozen of them.

5. Matt Milford

Perhaps Ergonomic?

".for 2 u-shaped bits of metal and a plastic bar, then? There's no height or angle adjustment, which makes it an ergonomic no-no as far as I'm concerned. Kensington do it better - for a few quid more, you get full height and angle adjustment, and a 4-port USB2 hub.

Nick"

Why would you need to adjust the angle? You should never be using the keyboard when you have a laptop on such a stand because that makes the keyboard too high. You need an external keyboard and mouse to use it properly.

That said, you should be able to adjust the height, as you definatly can't stack them.

IBM thinkpad users wont think much of it either, getting your thinkpad dock on the top of that won't work too well.

I do agree though, £30 is a bit steep.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not getting one of these...

... not listed as being compatible with Vista. According to their website, it's only compatible with Mac OS X versions 10.3 and 10.4 and Windows XP.

Well that's saved me £30 then.

This topic is closed for new posts.