back to article iPhone gets virtual Windows desktop

Virtual desktop provider Citrix has, again, announced it'll be developing a client for the iPhone, providing the option of a Windows desktop on an iPhone: albeit at a distance. Citrix runs services such as GoToMyPC that allow remote access to desktop computers, as well as more comprehensive virtual desktop products that allow …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jolyon Ralph
    Go

RDP client

There's already a (free) RDP client for the IPhone which actually works rather well. I know it's not exactly the same thing, but worth mentioning because it's surprisingly usable for basic maintenance tasks.

2. Anonymous Hero
    Paris Hilton

Not totally useless...

"it's hard to think of an application that wouldn't be better served using a proper mobile client rather than via a shrunken interface on a touch-screen phone"

I dunno....when you're in the pub with your mates and the pager/SMS alerts goes off it's pretty handy to be able to RDP/Cytrix to a box to restart a service or something like that without carrying anything bigger with you. When I was unofficially 'on call' the RDP client on the iPaq I had was great for that kinda thing to help out the guys in the NOC by taking a quick butchers at the eventlogs for example.

Paris....because she doesn't mind a shrunken interface as long as it doesn't happen too often.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Re: RDP client

"it's surprisingly usable for basic maintenance tasks."

Oh, you mean SSH then... no-one should be running a windows machine in a situation that is likely to need any form of emergency maintenance (which is all a phone client would be used for).

4. Mark Grady

Why bother

Mocha's VNC client's (both the free and paid for versions) are more than up to the job, allowing you to run a dektop remotely for a very low price.

Mocha even have a Remote Desktop client (free and paid for again).

Citrix are late to the party again - let's face it they bought GoToMyPC because they couldn't get their shit together with cheap PC based desktop remoting that didn't need a hugely expensive app behind it.

5. richard
    Stop

boring

god that presentation is boring -'get on with it!'...

yeah, viewing windows on a tiny screen...2 terrible things together...

6. Michael Habel
    Linux

What's the point?!

How exactly will an Jesus-Phone (with a virtual XP Desktop), help me when it [i.e. Jesus-Phone] doesn't have either a Mouse nor a Keyboard.

I know the "Screen" is the "Mouse", and the Jesus-Phone has a Tuchpad Keyboard, but with this on a screen so small, who would think this a better deal then say a small Netbook w/the same Software on it???

I hate my Vista Laptop (cause of the intermittent LAN/Wi-Fi drops), and Macs are way to overpriced, and my main hobby is watching TV *Satellite TV* I choose Tux cause VDR is <3!!

7. Jessica Werkz

@boring

At least it's got a working O/S undeneath it unlike those poor critters who have phones that run Windows - crash - Mobile - crash - natively on them...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

@"Oh, you mean SSH then" AC

'course, not running WIndows would drastically reduce the likelihood of needing to do the emergency maintenance anyway...

9. Eddie Edwards
    Happy

@ AC

Your anti-Windows bias is clouding your imagination.

A phone client could be used by tons of people for non-emergency tasks.

Just last night my wife needed to scan something on my PC (she's a Mac person). I had to talk her through it on my mobe. If I had an iPhone + RDP I could have just done it for her.

Not sure how to operate my scanner over SSH if I'm honest.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Jolyon Ralp

Unfortunately the exist RDP does not support Vista..

11. Adria Balan

Old news ...

In october there was already Remote Desktop Lite ( made by Mocha - www.mochasoft.dk/iphone_rdp.htm).

12. Ross Fleming
    Thumb Up

WinAdmin

Mochasoft's Remote Desktop (and Remote Desktop Lite) is the one referred to above, NOT an SSH application (hence the reason RDP was mentioned perhaps Mr AC?...)

As mentioned, it doesn't support Vista. However WinAdmin (£6.99) is well worth money and DOES support Vista. Eddie Edwards, suggest you splurge the money on that. Have used it very successfully, even over 3G (turn the settings way down low tho). Connecting to the console is also available, tho never tried by me.

All in all, it's not for day-to-day use as suggested in the article, but is useful for sorting out a problem on the move for a friend or starting a torrent etc.

Disclaimer, I'm not connected to the developer, just a big fan!

13. Ian Ferguson
    Thumb Up

YES YES YES

This is exactly what I need - I know the experience will be crappy, but when I need to log on to the work server remotely to click on one button or something equally simple, this is absolute perfection.

And for everyone whining that there's already remote desktop services - that's no good for me as our remote access is all via Citrix. This won't have mass appeal, but for those of us that use Citrix it looks truly wonderful.

14. Mark Dowling

counterproductive

"Just last night my wife needed to scan something on my PC (she's a Mac person). I had to talk her through it on my mobe. If I had an iPhone + RDP I could have just done it for her.

Not sure how to operate my scanner over SSH if I'm honest."

Sounds like the kind of capability which will mean the people you give tech support to will never bother learning how to do stuff because you can do it for them anywhere anytime.

15. Chad Larson
    Thumb Down

RDP for iPhone

There is a very useful RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) client in the Applications Store. There are also several VNC (Virtual Network Computing) clients. This Citrix client seems redundant.

16. Graham Lockley

@Jessica Werkz

>unlike those poor critters who have phones that run Windows - crash - Mobile - crash - natively on them..

Strange, I have been using an HTC Diamond for the last 4 months and it hasnt crashed once ? This is despite using it to run Memory Map and Tomtom (and a load of other apps/hacks). Oh but of course neither of those apps are available on a *superior* platform (along with a whole lot more).

Get real FFS, lose the 'Microshaft' attitude !

17. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

@Graham Lockley

"Strange, I have been using an HTC Diamond for the last 4 months and it hasnt crashed once ? This is despite using it to run Memory Map and Tomtom (and a load of other apps/hacks). Oh but of course neither of those apps are available on a *superior* platform (along with a whole lot more).

Get real FFS, lose the 'Microshaft' attitude !"

Google maps and Google Earth work really well for GPS applications thanks. Does having to use a stylus piss you off?

FFS loose the Anything But Apple and JesusPhone mentality - then perhaps you wouldn't encounter the Microshaft attitude as much.

What is great is the choice of apps available for the iPhone now, all at reasonable prices, with a heck of a lot of good freeware. I used to have an SPV M3100 (htc Hermes) which I found as stable as a newborn calf, it was admittedly crippled with Orange crapware, and the software availability for the win mobile was woeful. What was available was overpriced as well. Whether this particular app is "needed" is neither here nor there, the fact that you can choose is what's important.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Huh

Jaadu VNC has been out for ages, as have Mocha RDP and Mocha VNC. There's also a Mocha SSH and Telnet, if you feel that way inclined. Jailbroken users can nick any of the above, and I think there's a tool (though I can't recall the name) in the default repositories that does the same thing again.

What about this is news?

19. Nexox Enigma

@Eddie Edwards

"""Not sure how to operate my scanner over SSH if I'm honest."""

Not only is SANE relatively easy to use over SSH, but I've got a network-enabled SANE front end on my Nokia N810, which is trivial to use over my VPN. It's nice for when I leave some paperwork at home and I can just have my girlfriend place it in the scanner for me. And rest assured that the network enabled scan server is mostly used for scanning on multiple nearby computers than the occasional remote document aquisition.

And yeah, the screen on the iPhone is just too low resolution for this to possibly be useful. The N810 has almost twice the res, and it's barely passable for RDP on Windows. It does kick some ass with SSH, however. Keyboards with real buttons and all tend to help. Hell, I'd rather use a 4 year old Blackberry for SSH than an iPhone.

20. jeffrey

@Mark Dowling - Counterproductice

Sadly no matter how many times/ how many people try and teach my parents to learn what every little thing or their computer means and does, they still fail, some people just have an inability to learn above basic tasks.

I am always getting "support calls" from my parents, what does this popup mean, how do i change this setting, where have I put that etc. If I could remote login from anywhere to fix the problems it would be great (just have to wait till my current phone contract runs out and I can get an iPhone)

21. mike lee

@Jessica Werkz

What was the last Windows Mobile device you used? The last two phones I have had - both Windows Mobile (5 + 6.1) have been stable.

> Does having to use a stylus piss you off?

No. I like using a style. :shrug: Not that I have to for basic usage. Does having to use a on-screen keyboard piss you off? :P

> software availability for the win mobile was woeful

What is missing?

22. Jessica Werkz

@mike lee

The last version I used was a couple of years ago but I have yet to here anybody say, apart from yourself, that Windows Mobile works OK, even by Minnowsoft's standards ...erm...FFS.

A great supporter of everything Windows, Paul Thurrot, reckons the Gateless coders in Seattle should start over with the woeful Mobile 6.1.

I feel sorry for the wretched phone manufacturers who design and build probably decent phones and then have to squirt a wobbly lump of software on it which makes their devices as stable as a very unstable thing having a particularly unstable time on an unstable day of the month.

Get a life, get a phone that always works.

23. Graham Lockley

@ac (coward) and Jessica Werkz

>What is great is the choice of apps available for the iPhone now

Umm... have a look around, the iPhone is WAY behind the times in terms of application breadth

>Get a life, get a phone that always works

Once again I seem to have been sold a dud, it JUST WORKS.

And I dont have to sign up to The Church just to be able to install the apps I want. I dont want to have to ask MS's permission to install stuff and I dont have to, I OWN this phone.

Meh, bloody sheeple.

<This post powered by Old Speckled Hen>

24. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@jeffrey

sick of getting support calls from parents? there is an easy fix for that...tell them to buy a mac '...because, mum, they are sooo intuitive, they never, ever crash and are stable as a rock' ;-) i do still get the occasional call, but my reply now is '...sorry mum, i don't know anything about macs'. perhaps a sexy mac book air wan't the best place for her to start? at least i was able to show her how to use that silly time machine...

paris - because sometimes it's just easier saying '...i dunno?!'.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like