back to article Hawaii says 'aloha' to Phoenix electric SUVs, pick-ups

The US state of Hawaii has announced not one but two electric vehicle deals, all in the space of a week. The first is with Better Place, which has now added the volcanic paradise to a list of places in which it will be installing its charge post and battery-swap station infrastructure, a list that includes Israel, Denmark, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

aloa?

Hawaiian hello, or a town in Scotland?

2. Gulfie
    Thumb Up

Phoenix or Ford?

The hatchback looks like a Focus with pumped-up suspension. Pity the range is so low. What is the on-board charger - a two-stroke engine and an anternator?

... no, just checked the web site and it requires a 220v connection. The 10 minute charge requires three phase at 500A (yes, five hundred amps!)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You can't fool me!

When I first loaded the page, the title was "Hawaii says 'aloa' to Phoenix electric SUVs, pick-ups" ... I know the truth! I KNOW THE TRUTH!!!!!

Ahem.

4. Martin Lyne

But..

..it looks like a real car!

Someone pulled their head from their rectum! Fantastic!

5. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re. Headline change

It's a fair cop. I'll come quietly...

6. charles paul

Aloha means...

Hello and Goodbye. =)

7. Damn Yank

100 mile range?

At what speed? Does stop and go driving make it worse?

I'm asking, because I've been to Maui, and the traffic is terrible.. And there are long stretches (road(s) to Hana for example) where you could easily get stranded...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Arrrgghh, why a Ssangyong?

Why on earth did they choose vehicles from the manufacturer that makes some of the wierdest looking mainstream vehicles on the planet? At least they don't seem to be doing a 'leccy Stavic (http://www.ssangyong.co.nz/stavic.html - caution may scare small children)...

Alien 'cus they look like they were designed by one...

9. Pyros

Huh.

Those things actually look fairly decent--I'd be happy to take one for a spin.

Wonder what the tonnage limit is on the pickup version?

10. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: Ssangyong.

I too twigged that one as a Ssangyong with a badge. I'd never heard of a Stavic though and was about to trump it with the Rodius.

However, following your link, I find that "Stavic" is Kiwi for "Rodius". Who knew?

Now I'm wondering what's so offensive about the pull-the-random-letters-from-the-scrabble-bag name "Rodius" in NZ that they had to change it for that market........

This topic is closed for new posts.