back to article iPhone owners to help clean up vomit

An army of busybodies wielding expensive portable telephones is set to be unleashed on Britain's streets from today, as part of a campaign to pester councils into fixing potholes and cleaning up vomit. Digital democracy charity MySociety has launched an iPhone app version of its successful FixMyStreet website. FixMyStreet …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Good idea, but...

I can see the merit in this if it encourages Councils to actually start doing something about badly repaired streets, but it's a bit of charter for people with "nothing better to do".

Of course, there are two big issues with this program:

The first is that the iPhone camera is so poor that the councils probably won't be able to see what the problem is, and the second is the fact that in the NuLab vision of a modern Britain, taking a photograph in the street is likely to get you banged up as a terrorist...

2. alan

Re Good idea but

Its only terrorism if critising the work of labour councils.

If you are taking pictures of badly performing tory councils its a valuable service to the community

3. Fluffykins Silver badge

The third problem is

That the app won't be permitted by Apple

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why the councils?

Why are they picking on the councils and not the slobs who make the mess in the first place?

5. david
    Boffin

Not to mention

A lot of councils have hotlines for fly tipping / pot holes etc.. if the problem hasnt been fixed then the council dont want to fix it , putting an app on my I/G phone wont give the council more funding or rethink its priorities.

apart from th 4 flaws so far its a great idea ,,, now I am off to invent the square wheel

6. bluesxman

RE: Why the councils?

Easier target.

Much as I'd like for the local scum to stop shitting their dogs all over the bloody place, I'm not about to admonish or photograph one of them if I catch them at it (unless they look suitably non-threatening).

7. Mike Flugennock

iVom?

Wouldn't that be more like 'iPuke'?

Oh, and a language question: "fly tipping"? Does that phrase describe some kind of public exposure?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@Fluffykins

It already has been. Numpty.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I've got to do WHAT!!!!!!!

they didn't include that in their advertising!

10. Mike Moyle
    Coat

@ Mike Flugennock

I thought it was just that flies were smaller and easier to tip than cows.

(Of course, you do have to be a bit faster to catch the little buggers unawares, I suppose...)

11. John Goodwin
    Joke

Shitting their dogs all over the place?

Must be painful arf arf

12. Stu
    Alert

The software is going to need...

...a burst fire mode for my home city streets, the quality of the tarmac on our roads is horrendous throughout. How about strapping the iPhone to the under side of my car and putting it on rapid fire mode!? Then use up a grands worth of 3G data access uploading them all to FixMyStreet!

Can you guess the city I'm referring to?

13. David Shea
    Thumb Down

iPhone no use in Australia though

The council in Brisbane has an MMS hotline where you can send a picture message to them if you see anything the council needs to fix when you're out and about.

That's the iPhone Bug**ed then....

14. Steve Roper

@ Mike Flugennock

Fly-tipping = dumping large amounts of garbage, often hard refuse such as old mattresses and whitegoods, by the roadside and driving off.

Given that every square foot of the UK is now covered by at least 20 CCTV cameras, that it still happens is a testament to the effectiveness of the cameras, or the efficiency of the police, or both. Not.

15. Marvin the Martian
    Thumb Down

You can nag all you want about NewLabour Newspeak

But you spin da English more than anyone: <<iPhone users to help clean up vomit>>...

Since when is "complaining" a synonym of "helping"?

So that's a democratic charity in action, duplicate a council hotline but now public and with pictures? Hm, let me divert my remaining points from other charity spending.

16. John Dougald McCallum

Re Why The Council

If you know the utility that the hole was origonaly dug for then by all means get on the blower and bend their ear I did and within 24 hours hole fixed.As for puke it mostly appears after the pubs close so it is usualy first seen early in the morning,often have to dodge it my self(why can't the chuck up in the gutter),and fly tipping is mostly done away from most towns/cities whare ever there is a convenient pull in layby etc.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like