back to article PS3's Home to debut tomorrow

The PlayStation 3’s answer to an online community, Home, will finally be available for mass public consumption tomorrow, Sony has confirmed. Home has been in the making for a very long time and has already been available in beta form to selected gamers for the last month or so. The new open beta version will make Home …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Greg
    Thumb Down

Am I the only PS3 owner

who really couldn't give a toss about Home? Love the machine, enjoying the gaming and the Blu-Ray and everything else it does, but Home has absolutely zero appeal to me. Yet on the (admittedly limited number of) gaming sites I visit everyone seems to think it's going to be the second coming.

Mind you, I bloody hate FPS's as well....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Important

They should create an iTunes competitor music/(HD) movie shop, instead of this crap.

3. Stu
    Alert

Coo

In the absence of any decent titles for the PS3 right now, on the entire run up to Chrimbo 2008, I thought PS Home would be pretty cool to try out for five minutes on my very expensive games console.

Then I learned that a couple of my friends had been invited into, and seen, the closed Home beta.

Whats their concensus?

Its full of jumped up little t*ssers who continually threaten and harass other people on it. If it weren't for the apparent immunity from physical harm, being the other end of a very long copper/fibre wire, their attitudes would be so much better.

Still, I'd give it a look. I got similar treatment from lads like that on CounterStrike on the PC some years back. you just threaten to grab their IP addys and hack their networks, what with my l33t h4x0r 5k1llzs.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

title

"Am I the only PS3 owner" - yes, you are

5. Tom Haczewski
    Thumb Down

@ Important

Sony already tried that, using SonicStage (bane of my life) and their music store. It failed and they pulled it. Whether it would work on a console or not... who knows. I wouldn't use it personally.

HD movies however, Xbox is trying although they seem to be rental-only and rather overpriced, which is a great shame!

6. PIB

Moaning already...

"In the absence of any decent titles for the PS3 right now..."

*YAWN...*

DO try to come up with some newer criticisms.

You sound like an XBot.

7. PIB

"Am I the only PS3 owner"

"Am I the only PS3 owner"

Well ignore it then. It's free and nobody is forcing you to use it.

In fact the less 'gurns' who use it, the better.

8. radian

@ Am I the only PS3 owner

No, you're not.

Home looked interesting at first (all those years ago...) but the delays have given me time to realise that it has nothing to offer... like FaceBook.

I like FPS's though.

I also like Marmite.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Greg

Nope. I'm not thrilled at the concept of running around what is basically a HD version of Habbo hotel.

The only good thing I can see coming from it is it might encourage PS3 owners to buy mic's or keyboards so that they can actually communicate during online play. I'm rather sick of being the only mic owner.

10. Neil
    Paris Hilton

Take me home, to the place, i belong

Well, Plenty of decent titles out on my PS3, at least I'm one happy owner and some corkers coming out just after crimbo so I shall continue to be Happy.

HOME has no meaning if it wasn't for the Clan I'm part of ( www.oldnrubbish.co.uk ), we'll have clubhouses so we can all meet up, have a chat before jumping into games. HOME is what you make of it i guess, we've got plans for how we'll be using it so for us at least, It's a great asset.

btw, Argos have a cracking PS3 deal at the moment, 80gig PS3 plus LBP, Resistance 2 & MStorm2 for £283, FC2 is £17.99 on play.com, Fallout 3 £19.99 at gamestation..... I guess we can thank the credit crunch for some things.

Paris, because she's cheap too.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

ROFL...

"in the absence of any decent titles for the PS3 right now"

Massive fail right there. I have all 3 consoles, and PS3 by far and away has the best crop of titles at the moment, with some massive hitters coming in 2009 too.

I'm also in the Home Beta, and it's pretty darn amazing. Sure there will always be idiots/loners who don't get it, or just wander around aimlessly, but for those of us with friends in the real world, Home is great.

12. SuperFresco

too old to stay at Home?

I'm afraid I have to agree with Stu's friends. I have been a pilot user and just found it dull. There were a number of people wandering aimlessly around. A few were playing Pool or Bowling - I guess this is vaguely entertaining as a quick online game (although once you've cracked it there is little entertainment with the bowling).

A number of people were talking crap (often in Dutch, German or Italian). Also, as you see all 'conversations' going on around you it gets a bit tricky to follow. Personally I found messaging too much trouble as I don't have a keypad and it took too long to write with the virtual keyboard.

Once there are people I know on line I may find it more fun or maybe I'm just too old to stay at Home - I'm 44.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Clearly Microsoft are VERY worried..

They have already gone on the defensive with their usual trash talking...

http://www.videogamer.com/news/11-12-2008-10172-1.html?commentspage=0

If they weren't worried, why comment??? Clearly the NXE Mii/skin makeover is too little too late, and they know it...

14. Greg Marshall
    Thumb Down

Network Error

Just tried logging in - I was in the closed beta so it was a quick update to v1.03.0

Clicked connect and basically timed out.

Nice one Sony!

15. Nick
    Thumb Down

Nah

For me, tarted-up social networking is not something that equates to an enjoyable consumer experience.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

@Network Error

Servers are not up yet I believe, although the client has been updated.

17. Tim

i tried it and am now bored.

I dont want to talk to strangers and if i want to talk to my mates, i will do the decent thing and go down the pub.

18. Mark
    Gates Horns

ITS BRILLIANT!

Why do people trash home? Its the best thing since uncharted.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like