back to article GPLv3 to reinforce FSF open-source license position?

Adoption of GPLv3 has surpassed many older licenses in a short time, according to license watcher Black Duck Software. GPLv3 is now the fifth most chosen license in the open-source community, used in 6,300 projects, and is expected to snatch the number four-slot from BSD in "a year or two" Black Duck said The move past BSD …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Richard
    Joke

Surely though

Real Programmers don't comment

Open source projects have comments

Therefore:

Real Programmers don't work on Open Source Projects

OR

There is at least one non-real programmer on many Open Source Projects

Well, that's that myth busted. Well done Black Duck!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Nobility fail

Sad to see how few people use the truly open BSD, MIT, Apache or LGPL licenses (or even that old standby, the public domain declaration).

Sad to see so much politicization of something supposedly given freely.

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    Thumb Down

JavaScript is a major language?

We're going to need a bigger wall to stand people against when the revolution comes.

4. Brain
    Flame

@ TeeCee

We can shoot the javascript 'programmers' along with 'HTML programmers' because theyre usually the same people :)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

The code IS the comment

But I suppose XP hasn't caught on in open source circles, because it sounds too much like an operating system?

And most of the comment lines I've seen in open source java code were the reams and reams of blurb that supposedly represents license and copyright information at the top. So please recount java code from the curly bracket following the class declaration to its matching closing one.

Paris, cos no comment

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bandit to Black Ducky

WTH are you going on about, we don't care it is just code, CPAN it.

Oh there is some anti JavaScript techno weenies, I have a soft spot for JavaScript a beaut of a language, it is just one of those that is actually quite good fun, and quite powerful nowadays.

It is the new cyberpunk language you can set up anywhere and use servers you have little direct control over save as a central place to store data.

Now VB .NET C# Mono monkeys, I don't know if we should waste the lead on them.

7. Pete "oranges" B.
    Joke

I want some!

So all this software I've been using was written by /imaginary/ programmers?

Cool!

Can I imagine up a whole bunch to work on cool new Plan 9 projects for me?

8. Dr. Mouse
    Joke

RE: I want some!

"So all this software I've been using was written by /imaginary/ programmers?"

Yes, but in order to represent their numbers you would need a two dimensional plane...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like