back to article Acer beats arch-rival Asus in Q3 netbook match

And the most popular netbook in Q3 was... the Acer Aspire One, closely followed by - surprise, surprise - the combined collection of Asus Eee PCs. So says market watcher DisplaySearch, which measured a 38.3 per cent market share for Acer, a good way ahead of Asus' 30.3 per cent. That's good news for Acer, not simply because …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Brad Ackerman
    Paris Hilton

Missing something?

Shouldn't this article have a certain picture, given that it mentions the Eee?

Paris, for the obvious reason.

2. MYOFB
    Paris Hilton

Wait for Q4 . . . Samsung Will Be Spanking Their Monkey!!

I can't believe El Reg hasn't reviewed the Samsung NC10 yet!!

I also know why you haven't . . . because you can't get hold of one . . . That's why!!

They are flying out the door faster than a lady of the night can drop to her knees for a warm beverage . . . It being winter and a recession all over the shop.

I truly do not expect this comment to be allowed through but what I do expect is a full, in depth review of THE BEST netbook on the scene from people I considered to be at the forefront of technology!!

For Christ' sake, I had to search out 'other' review sites to confirm what I already know!!

\Paris . . . Because I would crawl over her to the other side of the bed to get my hands on an NC10!! ;-)

3. spegru
    Boffin

surprise - not suprise

If you've seen these nice blue so easy to use, acer thingies piled high in PC world Comet, Tesco (yes Tesco!) then you wont be surprised esp at around £179. Now that is an SCC!

On the other hand I'm amazed at the HP2133. Much more expensive at ~£330 at PCWorld Comet etc, albeit with a more sophisticated look and a *very* nice keyboard. However SuSE SLED10 Linux OS is total pants, and the battery life is not great. (Dont get me wrong - i've got one, but then I'm a bit of a hacker)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Cheap, reliable strumpet...

The AA1 sold better because it's cheaper - simple.

Why yes, I do have the One myself - and a fine strumpet she is...

Paris.

5. Martin

samsung nc10 vs acer aspire one

NC10 - £299

Aspire One - £179.

No contest.

A small cheap computer must be small and cheap.

6. Big Bear

Money talks

All these machines are very similar spec-wise, and if at the end of the day all the differences are between HDD/SSD and screen size then people will just go for the cheapest as 8.9 vs 10 inch is not a huge difference, but £400 vs £200 is, especially with the impending credit crunch during the quarter.

7. W
    Alien

re: samsung nc10 vs acer aspire one (vs EEE 901)

"NC10 - £299

Aspire One - £179"

To continue the story...

NC10 - 10.2" matte screen, 7+ hrs battery, 1GB RAM, XP, easily upgradeable hardware, touchpad w/ gestures.

Aspire One - 8.9" mirror, <2 hrs battery, 512MB, Crippled Linux, gittish to upgrade hardware, acquired taste small touchpad and buttons.

And "Spec for Spec", the Aspire One is the same price as the EEE 901 (SSD notwithstanding, as there's no equivalent).

Thought I'd buy an XP EEE 901 when they hit £250 and put up with the keyboard, small/oddly configured SSD & looks.

You can get them for that now. But now I'm after an NC10, no question.

But it's so close to Christmas that I'll be waiting for the post-Chrimbo sales & pick up an NC10 then.

But knowing the way it goes, there'll be an NC10 with built in 3G and 32GB SSD around the corner...

_____

Come on Reg, where's the NC10 review?

8. Scott
    Happy

Asus has got to big for its boots and are overcharging

I have used both the Asus EEPC and the Acer Aspire One and id choose the Acer anyday. Its cheaper, higher spec and better looking then most models of the Asus

9. Art of Shadow

ASUS missed opportunity

Rather than introducing a stream of new models, each of which was announced some time before it was available - causing potential buyers to wait and see what the new model had to offer, ASUS should have picked a model - even the now venerable 701, and stuck with it. They could have kept their margins thin and gone for volume in a big way. Once you reach a certain threshold the issue of some web sites not displaying well on your device ceases to become your problem, and becomes that of the web site creators who will need to test that their sites work well on a smaller screen, due to the percentage of viewers who are using it.

Other netbook manufacturers would then have had to either try to produce the same spec for much less (because why a less well known product with the same spec for only a little less money), or would have had to keep piling on features (and cost) to differentiate their product - running the risk of creeping up towards the full laptop spec and cost. Instead they have done this to themselves.

10. Big Bear
    Thumb Up

Agree with Art of Shadow

I can't agree with Art of Shadow more... just look at the new Asus N10 compared to the Asus Eee S101. Both 10 inch toys priced about the same (£400) but the N10 adds up to 320GB storage and a dual GPU (Intel 950 and nVidia 9300), though it is slightly larger/heavier than the S101. Battery life on the 9300 is about 3 hours as well so not too shabby all told, but with this out suddenly the high end part of the market is all about Asus competing with Asus Eee! If I were a non-exec director I would want to be questioning the overall strategy of the firm rather closely... Then again, in a few short years Asus has established itself as more than a mobo maker and brought out a huge range of machines covering the full spectrum of user wishlists, and has even got the C90, the first notebook designed to be upgradeable as well as start the entire netbook industry.

I was close to getting the 701, but then the 901 came out and I thought about getting that, and the 1000, but then the price was a bit much for something my 4 year old, previously mothballed, Vaio TR5 could do (second machine for holidays/travels). If I got a small machine now I'd consider either a £200 one or the N10 so I could frag on the move!

11. MYOFB
    Paris Hilton

Touched a Nerve . . . Did I?

AA1 - £179

NC10 - £Spank Monkey!!

Is it my fault you bought ASUS/Acer netbooks??!!!

Or am I the scourge of all you behold with the SCC you have laid before you??!!

Chrimbo sales? You'll be lucky to buy one next April !!

Me? Gotta get 2 of 'em before Xmas . . . Wanna show me where I can get 'em??

\Paris . . . Need I say it again? Bed . . . Crawl over . . . For NC10 . . . NUFF SAID!!/

12. W

re: black NC10 stock.

"Wanna show me where I can get 'em?"

At the time of writing:

"In stock now" @ dabs - £321, delivered.

"More than 50 in stock for next day delivery" @ ebuyer - £321.50, delivered.

"Stock : > 20" @ laptopsdirect - £325, delivered.

"Expect shipment in 3 working days @ expansys - £318, delivered.

"In stock" via Amazon 'used & new' - £325, delivered.

It'll be available for under 300 notes before you know it.

No-one said the entry-level AA1 wasn't cheap and decent enough value, but the NC10 bests it on virtually every count, solving some *commonly cited* shortcomings of said entry-level AA1 whilst having virtually no *commonly cited* failings. And for that you'll have to drop a few extra notes.

The general concensus is that the NC10 hits the sweet spot and does what it says on the tin.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like