back to article Intel trumpets world's fastest silicon photonic detector*

Intel researchers are claiming "world record" performance with their latest push in silicon photonics — or chips with friggin' laser beams. The vendor published results from a new silicon-based photodetector, which uses light pulses to make stupidly fast connections rather than more conventional (and slower) electrical …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. yeah, right.
    Coat

obvious

It's not a unit of measure. They're simply telling us the design still has a few bugs...

The one with the fuzzy antennae, thanks.

2. Justin White
    Coat

New Unit of Measurement

Since the Vulture Central Weights and Measures Soviet has already provided the sheepsec (1Ssx) for measuring velocity, I think it begs the question about the velocity of a ladybug riding a photon. Let's hope the Soviet gets on this scientific inquiry of import with rapidity.

Mines the one surrounded by friggin laser beams from what I call my "Death Star".

3. martinX

Austin Powers Quote

It's frikkin' laser beams, not friggin'.

4. It wasnt me

All very impressive....

.... unless thats one of those mutant Asian ladybirds.

We need to be told.

5. Martin Lyne

I..

I for one welcome our city-stomping, aphid-munching, homo-gendered ladylords.

Oh, it's a chip, not Manhatten..

6. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

A ladybird?

Surely a creature which has to be TOLD it's house is on fire is not a good mascot for a line of photon detectors.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Ladybirds are a bad metric.

Seriously, think about it. You've got the 1-spot (AKA "no spot"), the 3 spot, the 5 spot, the 7 spot, the 13 spot and the 22 spot... along with various others. Unfortunately, there is no clear relationship between spot enumeration and host magnitude, meaning that the ladybird unit would be even more contorted and inscrutable than Imperial measurements.

8. Sir Runcible Spoon
    Thumb Up

tit

"cram 10's, even 100's of cores into future processors"

so now all we need is a decent OS that can play the latest games that uses all these wonderful cores :)

9. Alistair
    Thumb Up

Awesome capture and great dof

I for one would welcome our new giant chip-measuring insect overlords.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hmm

One of my lecturers at the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology was undertaking research into this issue back in the early 1990's, I wondered what happened to the subject.

It's been a long time coming.

11. Henry Cobb
    Joke

Ah grasshopper

Intel is simply following in the footsteps of that noted enthomologist, Grace Hopper.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like