back to article HP claims market-topping 2.5-inch storage

HP is shortly to launch a 300GB 2.5-inch hard drive claiming it will have "more storage capacity than any other SFF drive in the market." Both Fujitsu and Seagate's have 300GB 2.5-inch drives already. What's going on? El Reg was pointed to HP's Reality Check: Server Insights blog and found this: "Have you been waiting for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pondule

Savvio

You told us on 5th of November that "HP and Dell provided supporting quotes in the Seagate release" of the latest Savvio lineup so it simply has more capacity than the 10K.2.

2. amanfromMars Silver badge

If you Need 42 Know about Colossal AI

"The supplier isn't named." Probably an Enigma Virtual Machine.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

1TB

HP is shipping 1TB SAS / SATA hybrid 2.5 inch drives in their extreme storage product.

500GB 2.5 drives have been around for ages.

What makes these 300GB drives interesting?

4. Alex Lee
    Paris Hilton

I have a 500gb...?

I have a Buffalo MIniStation 500GB portable HDD on my desk next to me. It says there's a Samsung HM500LI inside it. Not sure how HP have "more storage capacity" in a 300GB model...?

Paris, because size matters.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Of course it's bigger

if you include the packaging.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@1tb

i was wondering what's so special about 300GB as ive got a 500GB 2.5" esternal sat here...

the difference is:

500GB / 5400rpm / sata / not rated for 24/7/365 use

300GB / 10000RPM / sas / rated for 24/7/365 use

the extra platter used in 500GB sata disks generally rules out 10Krpm use becuse of the extra air firction caused bu the second platter which means more power used and even more heat to try and shift : just look at the 300GB WD raptor for a good example of this: 2.5" dual platter 10KRPM mounted into a huge heatsink that transforms it into a 3.5" drive just to try and keep it cool...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

I wonder...

What size box do you think it will come in!

Paris for very obvious reasons!!

8. Dazed and Confused

10K RPM faster than 15K RPM?

With a 10K RPM drive you have an ave. 3ms rotational delay, with a 15K drive it's 2ms. I wonder how they make the 10K drives have a lower latency? Using 2 head towers?

9. druck Silver badge
    Dead Vulture

No sense at all

"HP's new 300GB SFF drive will have, it says, 75 per cent power savings over comparable 3.5 inch 300GB capacity drives ... The 75 per cent power saving becomes a 50 per cent power saving when compared to a 3.5-inch 15K drive."

Shouldn't that be; uses 75% of the power of comparable 3.5 inch 300GB (10K) capacity drives, and 50% of the power when compared to a 3.5-inch 15K drive? Otherwise it makes no sense at all.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doh

The 300GB-10K drives are enterprise rated SAS, specifically engineered for high performance , high duty cycle applications not the sort of things you would typically throw at SATA technology.

The point of FATA which EMC also use as LC-FC was to seamlessly integrate low cost SATA technology into existing FC infrastructure. Neither SAS nor SATA solve that problem since they use a different interconnect whichrequires different enclosure's meaning additional cost, re engineering, stranded capacity, limited scalability etc

11. cordwainer

No comments allowed?

I tried posting a comment on the Server Insights blog asking why this HP drive would be anything new or special, considering SFF drives that large and larger have been on the market for I think a couple of years. So far, the comment has not appeared, and there are no comments on any other item in the blog either. Anyone else want to try? I'm getting a sneaking suspicion comment "moderation" means "deletion" :-(

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re. No comments allowed?

Try here, this blogs a little more active

http://www.communities.hp.com/online/blogs/datastorage/archive/2008/12/05/new-small-form-factor-drives-coming-soon-to-hp-server-and-storage-systems.aspx

13. Ian Michael Gumby
    Thumb Up

@Alex Lee

What's the performance of your SATA drive vs a SAS drive?

While the SAS drives don't have the larger storage capabilities of the SATA drives, they are faster.

The good thing is that with 2.5" drives in a 2U high server, you could put a set of 7 disks of SAS and a set of 7 disks of SATA in different raid configurations. With mulit-core xeon chips, your single server could now be both a web/mail/app server and a database server.

Add in redundant power supplies and you've got yourself a box that most SMBs would love.

Double this and use HDR on the database along with load balancing of your web app, and you have extremely good uptime and reliability for a very low relative price. (relative to what it would have cost you 5 years ago.)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like