back to article MS claims US weekend sales victory in console war

Is Sony regretting its decision to keep the PlayStation 3's price where it is? The latest sales data from the States suggests it might well be. The stats centre on sales made this past weekend and Friday - the three days after the US Thanksgiving celebration. Microsoft said 25 per cent more Xbox 360s were purchased during the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark
    Flame

What's that smell

Horse? Cow? Nope Voleshit...

Honestly you would have to be a guliable moron to actually believe that Microsoft managed to get complete and accurate sales data on theirs, and their competitiors sales, within days of Black Friday..

Smells like a guestimate press release to me. I assume the Microsoft press release cites it's independant sources, or does it admit that it's their own data?

2. James Pickett
    Gates Horns

Oh yeah?

"sales victory in console war"

I take it that's ignoring the Wii, which is so far in front that the word 'war' scarcely seems appropriate. Perhaps that's why they omitted it...

3. Steve Rowsell
    Stop

Breaking News - Reg Hardware to be re-named Microsoft Haters Anonymous

I look at the headlines on this site most days and whenever anything to do with Microsoft is mentioned, whether its new hardware, old hardware, operating systems, price cuts, sales figures or even conjecture, its usually jumped upon by morons who feel that because they own anything branded with the word 'Sony', they are contractually obliged to try and stamp on anything Microsoft related.

People complain about the 'cult of Apple' and the way that some Apple owners tend to think they are superior to others. The jury is out on whether this is indeed true, but at present, I think some of the Sony owners who constantly post vitriolic nonsense ought to take a long hard look at themselves. At present, some of them appear to be so up themselves they're in serious danger of disappearing up their own backsides.

For crying out loud - you've bought a PS3 - well done, I am pleased for you (and I'm not being sarcastic here). You opened your wallet, took out some cash and bought the system of your choice. I used to think that people bought things to meet their own needs - now I'm not so sure. I think that these days, people buy systems to try and feel superior to the owners of other systems. WHY??

I initially bought a 360 Core model because it was cheap, it had a pretty good catalogue of games, and the idea of online gaming on a console appealled to me. OK - you have to pay for Xbox Live - I don't have a problem with that, its not that expensive overall and I consider it to be worthwhile considering a month's use equates to less than 2 pints of beer.

I didn't have a hard drive or wireless adapter when I bought the console - no problem - I could add those when I could afford them, and if I felt they were necessary. I didn't want a Blu-Ray player and didn't want to pay through the nose for one - my PS2 had the first DVD player I owned, but I barely used it for DVDs - when the time came, I bought a standalone DVD player.

So the Xbox 360 met my particular needs. I didn't buy it because I love Bill Gates and I didn't buy it because I hate Sony or Nintendo. A single look at my collection of consoles, (SNES, Megadrive, Game Gear, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, N64, Gamecube, Xbox 1) will confirm that I don't particularly favour any console manufacturer.

I now have a good collection of games for my 360 that I enjoy playing with friends. I'm happy and have FUN with my console, which is surely the whole point of the purchase. I'd like to think that the majority of people with PS3s and Wiis do the same.

However, the constant stream of attempted one-upmanship that I read daily, (especially on this site) makes me sick - do you not realise how pathetic it sounds? I know that this plea will be like a fart in the wind, but just for a moment, take a step back and look at how ridiculous all this bickering sounds - you might be surprised, and perhaps, just a little ashamed.

4. Ian McNee
    Linux

Steve "Ballmer" Rowsell

Hey Steve - just exactly which article were you reading?? Seemed to me to be a fairly neutral bit of reportage with a dash of innocuous commentary.

OK so we read in El Reg earlier this week that Windoze fell below 90% for the first time ever in the "browser by platform" stats but there's really no need to be quite so hypersensitive - M$ will still exist tomorrow even if Reg hacks don't drink its coolaid and kiss its megamonopolistic butt.

Chill dude! :-)

5. Iain
    Stop

@Ian McNee

El Reg is perfectly reasonable with the balance of their console coverage. Mark and sundry ACs that feel the need to rant about how wonderful their PS3 is, and that all the 360 owners will rue the day they bought such an evil machine every opportunity they get is the issue worth highlighting.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft can say what they want.

Does not mean it's true...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like