back to article Boffins build omelette-making android

A robot’s been cooking up a storm in Japan, where its maker – Yaskawa Technology – has taught the drone to bake the perfect Japanese omelette. SDA10_cooking What do you mean it tastes machine made? Images courtesy of AFP BB News The firm’s MotoMan SDA10 robot was shown cooking an Okonomiyaki cake in front of crowds at a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ralph B
    Paris Hilton

Prediction

> The robot’s “human-like flexibility” also makes it suitable for a wide variety of boring assembly jobs

But we all know the first commercial usage will be for RoboBloJos(TM)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Looks more like...

...a traditional cheapo film camera to me. Yes I know... all I ever do is spot very minor mistakes and point them out. The you change them and don't accept the comment. Then I call black helicopters. Then you bitchslap me. Ah well, such is life. Maybe I should do some work.

3. Eugene Goodrich

Looks burnt.

I suppose if I didn't have anything else to eat, I would 1) kick myself for having bought that robot with my food money then 2) eat the burnt omelette.

4. Mark Burton
    Happy

MotoMan SDA10 has seven axes

Be pretty good at chopping wood too !

p.s I know axes is the plural of axis

5. Fluffykins Silver badge

Waiter!

There's a wingnut in my soup

6. amanfromMars Silver badge

What would Confucius say today with such Technology as is

Does it scale up to human for AI Singularity and Autonomies .... Virtual Machine States with DynamIQ Digital Binary Rights ReManaged to Master Mentor Monitor .... which is Core Drive/Source Lode. Manchurian Mandarin Samurai is a Powerful Controlled DNA Profile/Phished File/Phormed AIgent for CyberSpace Safety and Security v2.0 Dharma Zen Peer to Traditional Peer Tiers Programming.

Just a few NEUKlearer Nuggets there to Cast before Perls and Herald a Rush/Trip/Magical Mystery Tour.

7. Daniel Bennett
    Paris Hilton

Video?

"The firm’s MotoMan SDA10 robot was shown cooking an Okonomiyaki cake in front of crowds at a recent robot fair in Osaka."

Looks like a robot putting a camera together to me....

Unless that is a new kind of "cake"...

I know Japan is weird, but come on!

Paris.. Because she likes a different type of "cake"....

8. M. Poolman
    Coat

Egg-citing development in robotics?

Nah,

Just a bunch of eggotistical eggcentrics eggstrapolating eggstraenous eggsperimental eggology without eggonomics, eggscuses or eggcitement.

(all white, it's only a yolk)

Mines the shell suit top.

9. Andy Barber
    Thumb Up

May I be the first..

... to welcome our culinary lord & masters, who obviously learnt to cook, so they can keep humans as pets!

10. shay mclachlan
    Joke

As the saying goes

Can I be the first to say that you can't make an omletle without breaking eggs.

11. Dave Gregory
    Happy

I for one...

...welcome our new omelette flipping / camera assembling overlords.

Now I'm just waiting for the Sunday paper that will publish the "equation" for the perfect omelette, and we're away...

12. amanfromMars Silver badge

Mars Calling on Santa's Christian Spirit

Re."Egg-citing development in robotics? " ... M. Poolman • Tuesday 2nd December 2008 16:35 GMT

What do you know of KoenigsEggs, M. Poolman, and ITs HyperRadioProActive Drive Train/NEUKlearer Intellectual Property Fuel?

XXXXSiting Egg-citing development in robotics, indeed.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

RoTM

Come on... robots are attempting to take over food production. Once they control all food they will suddenly cut off the production, causing humans to starve.

14. Ed

@Andy Barber

I think that should have been....

"I for one welcome our omelette-making Overlords".....

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Saturday Kitchen

I've already asked Saturday Kitchen to enter it into the omelette challenge - I'm sure its conversational abilities will be up the the usual standard.

16. Cleggy

Cleggy

Heres one for £30!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-Toast-TT550015-Toaster-Maker/dp/B0013KEDKY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1228259797&sr=8-1

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not very useful

There's been a spate of these 'does task X' robots over the years, and they all have the same problem - they require the ingredients (or materials or whatever) to be carefully arranged in front of them. This may be suitable for a production line or maybe a large catering kitchen, but for household tasks, I'm willing to bet that no-one has designed a robot that can go to the fridge and get the ingredients, avoiding knocking other things in the crowded fridge over, selecting the oldest eggs first etc etc.

In summary, I we'll be doing the house work for a long time yet.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eggrace

On an episode ot the Great Eggrace the teams were tasked with making the perfect omelette from some basic everyday objects.

The Japanese team were slightly confused, couldn't understand that not everything required an hi-tech solution then went away and spent years developing this robot.

Meanwhile the team of village idiots from darkest Somerset started shagging pigs in the hope one of them would give birth to an omelette. It was eventually explained to them this would not work and that in a future time they would be persecuted by a woman who would come to be known as Waqui Jacqui. Such strong emotional bonds had been formed between man and beast that it was decided a life apart was not an option so they ventured forth to setup a free-love comune in a place more understanding of their needs, the Appalachian mountains.

The contest was won by the team from much-machissimo-in-the-wold who, after much debate and puzzlement over what use a frying pan would be, got a woman to do it for them She also washed up afterwards, let's see the robot do that.

19. Alex
    Thumb Up

amanfromMars rocks!

That is all.

20. M. Poolman

Earth to Mars

What do you know of KoenigsEggs?

Only that they go so fast they're likely to ovaturn and you'll end up cracked with your brains scambled. Either that or you'll be pecked up in a speed trap by the coops, and get brought before the beak, which is exactly the sort of eggistential crisis I want to ovoid to have any chance of getting layed.

Oh for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen - that's just the soth

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

*blinks*

> But we all know the first commercial usage will be for RoboBloJos(TM)

--------

I soooooo misread that at first - it would require an entirely different kind of flexibility... and lips might help...

22. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

RE: ‘Boffins build omelette-making android’

Now if they can teach it to flip burgers, then they can replace the human "robots" at McDs...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like